Potty training advise needed please!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BigHemi45
  • 1 Post By JessicaR
  • 1 Post By BigHemi45
  • 1 Post By mlvernon44
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Potty training advise needed please!!!

I have a 8 week GSD puppy. I take him out and he pees and poops. But he go will pee inside five 10 minutes later as well.. I take him out every 20 to 30 minutes. I have been putting the water up at 7 but he gets so thirsty he cries and scratches the counter for water. Our house is very hot because its a three story house. At night he sleeps on the bed or the floor and is fine, no accidents but a lot during the day and we are watching him carefully but he still goes. I have never seen a dog pee so much and any help is appreciated!
Junior21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior21 View Post
I have a 8 week GSD puppy. I take him out and he pees and poops. But he go will pee inside five 10 minutes later as well.. I take him out every 20 to 30 minutes. I have been putting the water up at 7 but he gets so thirsty he cries and scratches the counter for water. Our house is very hot because its a three story house. At night he sleeps on the bed or the floor and is fine, no accidents but a lot during the day and we are watching him carefully but he still goes. I have never seen a dog pee so much and any help is appreciated!
I have never owned a pup that young but several people here have and may be able to help. I would suggest maybe crate training. My breeder always has her young pups near cedar shavings so they always accociated that w/potty. Neither of my dogs have even used the potty in their kennel they just used the cedar box. I recieved both my pups at 12 weeks and they were pretty much already house broke the day I got them because of the shavings. I might would suggest a shallow cedar box he can access in the house so he wont accociate your house floor as a place to go.
Shooter is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: E Tennessee
Posts: 1,120
Crate training, absolutely. Just make sure it's not too big. You don't want the pup to be able to escape his mess.

If he's going potty every 20-30 minutes, there is a problem. Puppies have to go a lot, but not that often, unless they're drinking a lot of water. Check with your vet to rule out a medical problem.

Puppies will try to drink the entire bowl of water, so do supervise him when he drinks.

Most importantly, be on him like a hawk every second he is out of his crate. The SECOND he starts sniffing around like he might be ready to pee, scoop him up and rush him outside.

Also crucial--when he pees outside PRAISE! I mean over the top, berserk, neighbors think your nuts level praise. And you do it WHILE he's peeing, not after. Puppy attention spans are short. You can use treats, too if you wish.

These techniques work.
I've done it more times than I can count and I've got a nine week old puppy in the house right now.
zetti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 235
Crate training is a life saver. Our guy only makes a fuss in the crate if he needs to potty, he also eats in his crate which probably helps him not mess it. We have a bit of a routine going. Supervised play and into the crate. Let him take a little nap or just relax and wait for him to tell me he needs to go out. Rinse and repeat. If he doesn't potty, potty time is not play time, bring him back in and place him in the crate until he tells you he needs to go out.
zetti likes this.

Archer
BigHemi45 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
JessicaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 217
I have raised puppies before that have done this. Oddly enough it always seems to be male puppies, the females don't seem to do this. What I have learned is as long as there is no medical problems such as an UTI it is most likely he is getting distracted and not completely emptying his bladder. Try walking him around a few more minutes and se if he goes again. If he doesn't take him in put him in a crate then take him out again in 5-10 minutes. Also watch his water consumption, sometimes they just drink too much which of course means more bathroom trips. Oh and of course make sure you clean up any accidents really good so he doesn't think that it is an acceptable potty area.
zetti likes this.
JessicaR is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: E Tennessee
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemi45 View Post
Crate training is a life saver. Our guy only makes a fuss in the crate if he needs to potty, he also eats in his crate which probably helps him not mess it. We have a bit of a routine going. Supervised play and into the crate. Let him take a little nap or just relax and wait for him to tell me he needs to go out. Rinse and repeat. If he doesn't potty, potty time is not play time, bring him back in and place him in the crate until he tells you he needs to go out.
Oh, definitely! Feed him in his crate. We use treats as a reward for going in the crate. In fact, really good stuff happens in your crate.

Decide on a command word for crate. We use "box", though Raff made a faster association with "treats". He has a ton of food drive and basically hurls himself into his crate to get his treats.

Be prepared to tolerate some caterwauling in the early stages. Don't give in and reward him for carrying on. I've raised so many pups, I can tune it out now. It will go away. Use your happiest voice when you put the pup in his crate. He has to come to think of it as the best real estate on the planet.

And don't be surprised when eventually your dog starts going in his crate on his own for some downtime. They love their dens.
zetti is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
Oh, definitely! Feed him in his crate. We use treats as a reward for going in the crate. In fact, really good stuff happens in your crate.

Decide on a command word for crate. We use "box", though Raff made a faster association with "treats". He has a ton of food drive and basically hurls himself into his crate to get his treats.

Be prepared to tolerate some caterwauling in the early stages. Don't give in and reward him for carrying on. I've raised so many pups, I can tune it out now. It will go away. Use your happiest voice when you put the pup in his crate. He has to come to think of it as the best real estate on the planet.

And don't be surprised when eventually your dog starts going in his crate on his own for some downtime. They love their dens.
Luckily the breeder did the crate training for me. I just need to not screw it up lol. He loves his kennel and doesn't make one single sound when he is in there, unless he needs to potty which is all I can really ask for. I have an adjustable 48'' crate and I gave him a bit more room last night and he loves his luxury condo living.
zetti likes this.

Archer
BigHemi45 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 9,718
Collect the urine and have it tested for a UTI. I had a male pup in the past that had this.
wolfy dog is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:46 PM
New Member
 
mlvernon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior21 View Post
I have a 8 week GSD puppy. I take him out and he pees and poops. But he go will pee inside five 10 minutes later as well.. I take him out every 20 to 30 minutes. I have been putting the water up at 7 but he gets so thirsty he cries and scratches the counter for water. Our house is very hot because its a three story house. At night he sleeps on the bed or the floor and is fine, no accidents but a lot during the day and we are watching him carefully but he still goes. I have never seen a dog pee so much and any help is appreciated!


Mine seemed like he peed so much when he first came home at 8 weeks. So many accidents to clean up! We just did scheduled potty breaks and watched him like a hawk. You start to learn what they do when they need to go! He also drank a lot of water throughout the day.
zetti likes this.
mlvernon44 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Knighted Member
 
sebrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,090
Make sure you clean up any accidents with an enzematic cleaner like Nature's Miracle so the puppy isn't attracted to the same spot.

My last puppy (now 9 months old) would potty two or three times before completely emptying his bladder. Maybe wait outside 5 or 10 minutes after your puppy pees and see if he goes again. Or put him back in his crate for ten minutes and then take him back outside.
sebrench is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome