Exposing Ranger to Gunfire - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Exposing Ranger to Gunfire

Ranger is my 13+ week old pup. I exposed him to gunfire today and it worked out pretty good. He aint skeered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

Glad he did well. Mine do fine with guns, fireworks, thunder and the like. I think mine have fed off of my enjoyment of those things and view them as something positive.
Shooter likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Glad he did well. Mine do fine with guns, fireworks, thunder and the like. I think mine have fed off of my enjoyment of those things and view them as something positive.
I used to take my previous Shepherd to the rifle range and he would just sit in the back of the truck with what I swear was a smile on his face. He looked like he was right where he was supposed to be.

I would have been a little dissapointed if Ranger had freaked or was frightened because I, like you love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Sound puppy!!!

Sound sensitivities can develop at any time. A friend has a national level IPO dog who developed fears of any loud noise after a bad storm. Career Over. My girl used to sit on the porch with me and watch storms. She shakes, runs and hides at a hiccup now.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Sound puppy!!!

Sound sensitivities can develop at any time. A friend has a national level IPO dog who developed fears of any loud noise after a bad storm. Career Over. My girl used to sit on the porch with me and watch storms. She shakes, runs and hides at a hiccup now.
Yeah, I know. We had a Dane years ago who would tremble at thunder storms and the kids throwing fire crakers.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

It's horrible. Nothing you can do to comfort them. I even tried drugging her on July 4th so she would snooze thru the fireworks but the timing has to be stellar for the drugs to take effect.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Knighted Member

Your boy done good.
Rosko does fine with gun shots. Hates fire works. It's game over if he hears even one fire work.
Athena and Apollo do fine with gun shots and fireworks. So far. I try and shoot with them frequently just to keep them accustomed.
I have kept the two younger ones just on 22's and 45 caliber pistols. I should advance to rifles this weekend. But some of the bigger rifles have a lot deeper percussion than the pistols. Better do them all individually. Don't want Rosko to possibly freak out and get the others skittish.
Shooter likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:46 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Sound puppy!!!

Interesting what can trigger that? How to prevent it?
Fortunately I've never had to deal with these issues, but I can imagine how frustrating and difficult to deal with them.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:17 AM

This is not something that I would do a lot of. As Jax08 correctly mentioned issues can occur down the road from doing too much of this stuff. Once the novelty of stimulus wears off you may wind up with an issue.

The biggest things that I see and need to be worked on are a proper grip and better trigger control.
Jax08 likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim

Last edited by Slamdunc; 12-31-2016 at 02:21 AM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:47 AM
Elite Member

Totally agree with the others. It is definitely possible to overload a dog with live fire. And your dog is just a pup.

A dog can, literally, become shell shocked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page