Is it really safe playing ball with 10 months old GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Is it really safe playing ball with 10 months old GSD?

Pasha is 10 months unneutered male and recently very excited about the ball play. By the time we walk out, he is looking for the ball in my hand and wants to run after the ball. He doesn't know how to fetch yet, he only chases the ball like crazy with full throttle and then I have to take the ball back from him and throw again. This is the good thing to make him tired. However, the way he is running very fast and trying to grab the bouncing/rolling ball is the trouble part....I have noticed a very very slight intermittent limping on his front leg. I am not sure if that is due to his growth pain or due to the intensity of the game. Maybe he is still a puppy and doesn't know how to properly walk/run.
I read a lot of threads here about fetch games and chuckit. I am trying to be gentle and slow when I throw the ball but still he is so excited and gets crazy to catch the ball even though the ball comes to a still stop. May intense twins and turns cause any injury during the ball game?
I don't think I would play fetch with my 6 year old son? Or let him run like crazy after a ball? Would you? IMHO natural free running and walking plus playing with other puppies are the best exercises for the puppies at least until they are 18 months old.
Just wanted to get your opinions and experiences about playing fetch or ball throw game with puppies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

that's him...spoiled rotten GSD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20161116-WA0007 (1).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	395026  
Suki's Mom and CindyMDBecker like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

My dog is super intense in play and in everything she does. So I always make sure that whenever I throw the ball, she cannot see where it lands or lies. Otherwise she would have to put on the brakes too much and very possibly injuring herself. This requires good obedience and impulse control as she has to wait until I release her verbally. If I mess up throwing and the toy lands in a dangerous spot (black berry patch (her eyes!), or on a concrete area, I can put her in a down stay and fetch the ball myself.
She is 3 years old and very obedient (not spoiled rotten, I personally hate that term) so once in a while I let her keep the toy with the command "YOURS!" and when I want it back she complies.
BTW: some of you may remember that I had trouble with her releasing the toy a few weeks ago, but going inside, after she held on to it (only once!!), took 100% care of that one!
Thecowboysgirl and cdwoodcox like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:37 PM

also you could just use to balls. the dog will always drop his boring ball for the cool fun one bouncing around in your hands
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Knighted Member

I have three dogs ages 19 months, 8 months, and 6 1/2 months. When they're all out playing together and get to running and chasing each other the twists, turns, sudden stops, jumping over other dogs, or if your Apollo running into other dogs. Is every bit as extreme as me throwing a ball to any of them. And Rosko the 19 month old is ball crazy. He would run head first into a wall at full speed if it meant he could snatch the ball in stride.
I have always played fetch with my dogs even as young pups. 3-4 months old. (I just more rolled the ball and they went after it). I just always tried to avoid the sudden stops from full speed. So throw it a little higher where it bounces when it hits and they can grab it in stride and turn back with the ball. Moderation.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Aly
Master Member

You might try a larger, partially deflated ball, say a soccer ball or basketball. The size of the ball minimizes the likelihood of its getting stuck in the dog's jaws or (worse yet) throat. More to your concern, because the ball is partially deflated, it's not going to roll about/bounce as quickly as a fully inflated ball would do; the resulting chase and "capture" seems less frenzied in consequence. My girl Rachel is pretty intense about balls, so I came up with this to manage things a little more safely. It's working well for us...so far (and now I hope I haven't jinxed us by saying that!).

Aly
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody...I got him NERF sports aero howler football from Target...he lovedddd it.....it makes a sound when I throw it and doesn't bounce...he loved it so much...but again he wants to chew and tear up it...its $5..so I will need to buy a few spare until he learns how to play with it....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkeyn View Post
Thanks everybody...I got him NERF sports aero howler football from Target...he lovedddd it.....it makes a sound when I throw it and doesn't bounce...he loved it so much...but again he wants to chew and tear up it...its $5..so I will need to buy a few spare until he learns how to play with it....

Outside toys like this I put up when we come in. They don't get to tear them up. There are inside toys for chewing on. Just a thought...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:45 PM

thank you for this thread, because when i play fetch with my mal he goes 110% allllll the time and I see the occasional limp and I get freaked out. Im gonna take some of the suggestions and just roll it or bounce it occasionally but even when i bounce it, he leaps flying in the air to catch it. A few times that I have rolled it or not thrown it far he still runs hard and stops hard.

I guess ill use the Tail Teaser Dog Toys Squeak Toy more often then the ball.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
My dog is super intense in play and in everything she does. So I always make sure that whenever I throw the ball, she cannot see where it lands or lies. Otherwise she would have to put on the brakes too much and very possibly injuring herself. This requires good obedience and impulse control as she has to wait until I release her verbally. If I mess up throwing and the toy lands in a dangerous spot (black berry patch (her eyes!), or on a concrete area, I can put her in a down stay and fetch the ball myself.
She is 3 years old and very obedient (not spoiled rotten, I personally hate that term) so once in a while I let her keep the toy with the command "YOURS!" and when I want it back she complies.
BTW: some of you may remember that I had trouble with her releasing the toy a few weeks ago, but going inside, after she held on to it (only once!!), took 100% care of that one!
Really? You can stop your dog during a retrieve with a down? Can I send you my pup for training?
You're so right about them injuring their front legs putting on the brakes from a full run. My next pup won't fetch until it's 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page