Puppy doesn't want to go on walk - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Puppy doesn't want to go on walk

Hi everyone, we just get new puppy, almost two weeks with us, he is 10 weeks now, learn him to go on leash but doesn't want to leave front yard. He will go back yard, front yard, but any further giving resistance and want to return back. I have to carry him a block to get him moving, but when we get close he kept running towards the house. Is this normal? How to train him to do walk around the block? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:04 PM

Wait a couple of weeks and try again.House training,crate training,and getting acclimated to his new home is more than enough for now.When you do try again,take it slow.The sidewalk in front of the house and right back home again.A little farther each time.Everything is new and overwhelming for him now.
Deb, maxtmill and w_r_ranch like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Knighted Member

At ten weeks old what vaccines has he had. I didn't even think about taking my pups off the property before all their vacancies. But yes walk in back yard, house, all over property on leash to get him used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

He has all shoots up to date. So I should wait to have all of them until walking him around the block?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:03 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Wait a couple of weeks and try again.House training,crate training,and getting acclimated to his new home is more than enough for now.When you do try again,take it slow.The sidewalk in front of the house and right back home again.A little farther each time.Everything is new and overwhelming for him now.
Dogma, Is the 2 week shutdown also advised when bringing home a one year old dog? Just hang at our house with us and the other two dogs, and play in our small fenced in yard? THEN begin short neighborhood walks? Thanks!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
Dogma, Is the 2 week shutdown also advised when bringing home a one year old dog? Just hang at our house with us and the other two dogs, and play in our small fenced in yard? THEN begin short neighborhood walks? Thanks!
I should have mentioned, Dogma, that it will be impossible to keep our two smaller dogs and our shepherd separate in the little house we live in, but I can certainly keep my new dog leashed to me at first. The new dog has been raised with other dogs, including a little bossy chi.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

This is totally normal behavior. He doesn't yet feel safe. Try not to push him too hard and work within his zone of safety. My bet in 2-4 weeks you will see a huge change.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
I should have mentioned, Dogma, that it will be impossible to keep our two smaller dogs and our shepherd separate in the little house we live in, but I can certainly keep my new dog leashed to me at first. The new dog has been raised with other dogs, including a little bossy chi.
The two week shut down is a starting point.It will take as long as it takes for your new addition to get acclimated and relax in his new home.A week or two,a month or two,you'll know it when you're all comfortable with each other and it feels like familyA baby gate or whatever you can rig up so the new dog as well as the other two can relax and absorb their new circumstances is very helpful.
maxtmill likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_4288 View Post
He has all shoots up to date. So I should wait to have all of them until walking him around the block?

I never take mine off my property until they've had all their shots.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Master Member

I would drive somewhere and let him explore. I walked all my pups away from home immediately at 8 weeks. Call the local vets and ask about any incidences of parvo etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page