Potty Training Issues w/8 Month old - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By DutchKarin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Potty Training Issues w/8 Month old

Let me preface this by saying I hope I 'm not wearing out my welcome, lol. I recently purchased an 8 month old pup and he's an absolutely wonderful dog. He's smart, picking up on the routine quickly and settling in. The back story: He stayed with the breeder until he was 8 months old and I bought him. His original buyer as a puppy fell through so the breeder was going to keep him, but when I told him what I was looking for, thought we might be a good match and offered to let me meet him. I agree with the breeder's choice for me, I have no regrets about bringing him home, I don't feel as though the breeder was trying to get rid of him and make a quick sale. I think letting me take him was more difficult than keeping him to be honest. Anyway, he was indoor/outdoor, a mixture of crated, kenneled, or allowed free roam of the yard. Once I agreed to buy him, the breeder started keeping him in the house more often since he was to be an indoor dog with me. In two weeks, he has peed in the house three times and pooped twice, really not terrible for a young dog who had free run of the outdoors and could just let her rip whenever/wherever.

In the morning, I take both dogs out for a potty trip, give him time to play and stretch his legs before I have to leave, and then he is crated for the day while I am at work. Upon returning home, he is let out again, and then we settle in for the evening. I just keep an eye on him and let him out if he is acting like he needs to, but instead of going to the door, he typically goes upstairs. If I don't catch it, he will go to the bathroom in the house. Tonight, he peed as he was walking into and then back out of his crate, not even 10 minutes after being let outside and seemed to have zero interest in going potty. That struck me as odd, he doesn't pee or poop during the day in the crate, why then?

I know the potty training rule of thumb is routine, routine, routine, but whats the best way to get him to signal at the door, and not go upstairs? I'm thinking putting up a baby gate to keep him downstairs until we make a bit more progress in this department. Is 8 months too young to expect him to be able to hold it for the day while I'm at work? I take him on walks in the morning when I can, but generally speaking he usually makes a beeline for the house to play with his toys and my other dog over wanting to go for a walk. He's incredibly laid back, but has the vet's all clear on health so its just his temperament.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 03:11 AM

Yes, use a baby gate - he should not be allowed in any part of the house that you aren't able to supervise him. Partly due to his age but mainly because you just got him!

That said, my dogs are not trained to signal at the door... they're on somewhat of a schedule, and they hold it.
Dnr2d09 likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

You said you got him recently. How long ago is that.
I would vet check him for a UTI... I would vet check any 8 month old dog really.
Then yes, limit his access to parts of the house and keep to a very clear schedule and he will get it.
How long do you leave him during the day? If he was not potty trained in the first place then a long crate time is probably very hard on him. Can you get someone to allow him to relieve himself during the day for a few weeks or months? If he hasn't build the muscle control he hasn't and he needs time to develop that.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page