Need advice for going in Public - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Need advice for going in Public

So Zeus is 6 months now. He does great in in the house now, I can leave him out of his crate while gone. What I am struggling with is taking him in public, on walks or anywhere really. I bought bought a harness and that seems to help with the pulling. No, he isn't socialized, I know it's terrible but I don't want to bring him to a dog park, one because I dont know how will do, and two I'm afraid he can learn bad behavior. I don't have the money for a trainer, even the puppy classes in my location are super expensive! I have a wedding in 4 months and just can't spare the extra cash right now.
So what I need advice on is what to do when he trys to jump on people? People will approach him and he will try to jump up and lick them to death...
Also, when he sees another dog, he starts barking at them? I feel like he is excited, but how to I get his attention on me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

first, ditch the harness. regular harnesses are actually designed to encourage pulling - that's why they use them on sled dogs and horses - and no-pull harnesses can cause muscle damage.

You don't need to go to a dog park for socialization. Actually, that's the last place you should go. Socialization doesn't mean going out and playing with strange dogs and meeting tons of people. It means being exposed to new sights and sounds and learning how to behave around them. In many cases, that simply means learning to ignore them.

For the jumping, the easiest and simplest solution is that he learns to sit for attention. At home with you, in public, every person every time. You can enlist the help of those friendly people in training this. If they show interest in petting him, invite them to help train. Tell them you are working on his manners because he's a goofy boy who doesn't realize how big he is and you want him to sit when greeting people. Tell them you will put him in a sit and then they can pet him. Tell them in advance that if he even starts to lift his butt off the ground to step back and ignore him. No attention at all (even looking at him!) until his bottom is firmly on the ground.
It's best to start this with patient friends he already knows instead of strangers who might have him even more excited to meet. Once he has the basics of what is expected, you can take the show on the road. But you also don't want him to think that every person he meets will give him attention so also work on simply keeping walking.

Tiring him out a bit before hand often helps with young excited dogs. Go somewhere and simply sit on a bench and watch the world go by.

For barking at other dogs, simply keep walking. You need to be proactive and try to see approaching dogs before he does. Or at least before he starts getting excited. Once his attention is on them, you've already lost the battle. If necessary, simply turn him around and walk the other way if he's already focused.
angelas, Deb, maxtmill and 5 others like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Banned

OK first ... loose the harness. You can't correct a dog with a harness, engineers notwithstanding harness are designed for a dog to pull. And you actually caught a break with the "Dog Park" thing ...not a lot of "Dog Park" fans here or as I am want to say "No one in there right mind would subject there dogs to the uncontrolled Chaos of a Dog Park." Of course there are exceptions but it's a good rule of thumb.

The Crate is about more than keeping the dog from tearing stuff in the house. It's about setting rules and boundaries. The other dogs thing .. well I don't know what your plan is there?? But I advise people not to screw around with "Is your dog friendly people??" By and large most folks have no idea and those who do .... won't do that. I keep my distance you keep yours ... my dogs are taught to ignore other dogs, works out fine. But you can't get "there" until your dog knows how to go on a proper structured walk., accomplishing that ... is job one!

And it's done in a distraction free environment using a proper tool. A flat leash and regular collar a Slip Lead Leash or a Prong Collar. And a correction is a slight tug sideways or ... a wrist flick if you use a "Prong Collar. My tool of choice is a "SLL" but I now realize using that tool correctly is more of an "Art Form" than a science???

So halfway thru the thread I started on the SLL I switched tactics and it just changed to more of a "concepts of walking your dog thread. There is some info on a Prong Collar but the "trainers" who have Youtube clips with lots of info on "Prong Collars are there ...ie Tylor Muto, Jeff Gellman and Sean O'shea. So you can look those guys there for additional info and ask here of course.

Slip Lead leash - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

As to the jumping the best approach is to Correct the dog for jumping! I use ... the "Knee" thing myself, dogs don't jump on me. But yet again more of an Art Form than a science. I tried to show my rather ...awkward friend how to do ... that with my "Boxer" Let's say that was quite humiliating for hi but entering for me to watch.

But lesson learned the "knee" thing can stop a dog from jumping on you but ... it's not an easily transferable! IE the dog says well I won't jump on that guy ... but everybody is raw meat!

The "Sit" first thing ... may or may not work?? It's only effective if your dog has a clue as it were. If you have to do the Sit Sit Sit thing?? Your wasting your time. I have had hands on first time experiences with dogs I have never seen using a SLL. And dogs offered a "Sit" as a behaviour in less than one or two minutes. I never said a word ... so it was nothing I did. So I don't see much value to "Sit" with a dog that has no manners?? In addition if the dog is poorly mannered in the first place if he is in a Sit ... well he's already halfway to his target.

If you do/did use a "Prong Collar" you'd just keep a leash on the dog (let him drag it) and when he goes to jump ... step on the leash and stop him .. he'll get the message pretty quickly ... jumping is not allowed! Or teach a proper down and stay! Once taught ... "Down" is your correction ... that's is how I taught Struddell to stop jumping on uh ... "everybody else!" She kinda sorta hated down becasue it meant ... "PlayTime is over!" After a message received was accomplished with a few "Downs" at first signs of "trouble" then ... Sit was fine.

The Down/Stay:

Or you could just use a "Pet Convincer" and call it a day.
Pet Convincer.com

You can pick one up at a local Bicycle Shop for half the cost its a Bicycle Air pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

Chip, where did you get the idea that no one here uses dog parks? A lot of people here use them.

I am so tired of Jeff Gellman. He has a boatload of German Shepherds. Why are all his videos of dogs that look like pit bulls or pit mixes?
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Chip, where did you get the idea that no one here uses dog parks? A lot of people here use them.

I am so tired of Jeff Gellman. He has a boatload of German Shepherds. Why are all his videos of dogs that look like pit bulls or pit mixes?
Good point. I never thought about that. According to this forum, there seems to be no shortage of unruly or aggressive German Shepherds, yet Gellman doesn't seem to work with those, only his own.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Good point. I never thought about that. According to this forum, there seems to be no shortage of unruly or aggressive German Shepherds, yet Gellman doesn't seem to work with those, only his own.
The owners found better trainers? I used to think he was the best until I saw videos of other trainers. No comparison at all.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
The owners found better trainers? I used to think he was the best until I saw videos of other trainers. No comparison at all.
I don't know. Maybe German Shepherds aren't his forte. There is a reason that most on here recommend trainers familiar with our breed if possible.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

His site says he has six daughters, one son and four German Shepherds.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
His site says he has six daughters, one son and four German Shepherds.
Yes, he has a lot of children and dogs. But if you watch his training videos, he rarely shows a German Shepherd.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Yes, he has a lot of children and dogs. But if you watch his training videos, he rarely shows a German Shepherd.
When he does, it is almost always his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page