• 1 Post By dogma13
  • 2 Post By Deb
  • 2 Post By Deb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Enya started class!

So Enya and I started class today. It's basically a S.T.A.R. class for CGC. The people running it are Service dog trainers and this was their first public allowed class. And there was only Enya and I. So they pulled out some in training service dogs and we had class. She showed them she knows sitz and platz, walking on a lead and did a really good stay so we moved onto sitting, downing, walking past other dogs, stopping and greeting while they sit nicely. She had a blast and did quite well. We also traded dogs and worked each others dogs and she again did very well.

One of the handlers worked a puppy and her service dog was loose with us. It was outside. The dog is a GSD/Mal/DS mix, very very intense. She decided she liked me, which really surprised them as I guess she doesn't usually like most people. But I ended up with a dog on either side and worked both, one on lead and one off. A first for me, but it worked.

At the end I was invited to come to the service dog training with the soldiers and veterans which is Monday through Thursday in the afternoons anytime I want. And to help them if I'd like to. I've been an obedience instructor and they liked some of the things I was doing, the commands, how I did things with my own dog and theirs. They really liked Enya. I'm thrilled to work with the soldiers/veterans and the civilians as I think there are a couple of those and to be training again.

I was really pleased with Enya working so well. She did really great with the leave it and my 'that'll do' with all the distractions and the loose dog.
Chip18, cdwoodcox, Freyja and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Nice!Try and get some pictures to share.It sounds like a great experience
Deb likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Thanks, I will. It was different but a lot of fun. We'd work and then stand and talk and let the pups take a short break. It was good practice also for Enya to ignore the other dogs or stop playing and come back to me on command. The only one I let her play with was the GSD/Mal/DS as she rolled over on her back to invite Enya to play. She was an adult and ignored the other pups. That dog had the most intensity and focus I've seen on a dog in years. Her eyes fixed on me and never left me. Even when we were just standing talking she'd lie on the ground facing me, watching and waiting for me to tell her to do something. I was just glad her handler didn't get upset over being ignored and all her attention on me.
Chip18 and dogma13 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

So daughter-in-law is due any day and doctor said to walk. A lot. So we go to the local Fall Festival to walk around. I took Enya, good exposure to lots of things. It was small but we got to walk past other dogs, walking on loose lead next to me. A couple of people wanted to pet her and for the first time she was open to the idea. After walking up and down the street we grabbed some funnel cakes and a drink and sat down at the picnic tables to the side. About five minutes later the sudden super loud horn of a train goes off, about 20 feet behind us! He waited until he was up to all the people and then sounded it off. Enya was lying at my feet. She sat up, turned her head to look at it, she was facing away from it. I put my hand on her shoulder. That was it. After watching it for about a minute she went back to lying down with her back to it as the rest of the train rolled by. So proud of her!
Chip18 and telavivgsd like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:19 AM
Crowned Member

How great for you and Enya to be involved in this!

Yes, Pictures Please!

It would also be interesting to see a pic of what your new friend looks like! That's quite a combination!

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page