House broken at home..but now other homes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deb
  • 1 Post By ausdland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

House broken at home..but now other homes?

We have a 14 week old GSD... we got him at 8 weeks and crate trained him. He now rings a bell to go outside. He has had 1 accident in our home over the past 2 weeks so he is doing really well. He hasn't really been to that many other homes or establishments but the ones he has been to, he never had an accident.

My question is that.. soon we will need to bring him with us to our families' homes for the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years) and I am unsure of how to transition his being house broken at OUR home.. to other peoples' homes, especially with lots of commotion going on. Should I bring the same bell, treats, crate, etc and then just take him out as needed (after naps, meals, playing, etc) and basically do the same process in the new home (in crate when not being watched or during the night, put the bell on the door to go outside, always take him out using the same door, positive reinforcement with treats when doing potty outside)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I would bring what you've been using and definitely be using the crate when you can't watch him. I'd also talk to whomever you're planning on staying with to make sure that they are fine with your puppy lose in their house. With Christmas there may be other bells ringing, I know my kids loved them, so watch for that in that he may think each time means to go out. Also keep him close as with people coming and going, not all might be careful with keeping the door closed and keeping him from going outside. It's easy for you to become distracted for a few minutes with family and friends all around.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Banned

Well I have not done what your are planning on doing with your dogs. But if I were ... I would train my dogs in "Place" and do "sit on the Dog" those train "calmness" train calmness into a dog and you have time. You can certainly get this done by Thanksgiving.

Looks like this and the goal for a properly trained place command is at least two hours. .:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Elite Member

I've always used a crate at home and a travel crate in my truck. When my pup was younger I'd just bring her travel crate into someone's house if I couldn't' watch her or she needed a time out.
Your puppy is young. What Chip says about a place command and hold is great. That sure wouldn't have worked with my pup at that young age.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
I've always used a crate at home and a travel crate in my truck. When my pup was younger I'd just bring her travel crate into someone's house if I couldn't' watch her or she needed a timeout.
Your puppy is young. What Chip says about a place command and hold is great. That sure wouldn't have worked with my pup at that young age.
LOL ... aww but are you sure that's the case??? I "stumbled" onto quite place quite by accident years ago with "Rocky" OS WL GSD with a serious freaking people issue??

He "happened" to be on his bed when company came over and he greeted them with a Cold Hard Stare and a low growl??? I was used to my American Band Dawg and my well pretty much of the hook people luving Boxer!

So Rocky and this behavior ... freaked me out??? But ... aside from making company unwelcome he did not move ... I figured ... good enough! I kept company out of his face ... and he was good with that.

Got some hurt butts from family over that one, it was months before I let m yu best friend interact with him (he was fine (Rocky) and ... it was three some odd ears before my DIL was allowed to actually touch "Rocky!"

She lives out of state and I was always doing my ... "Don't even think about asking asking thing" with her ... never said a word but it was apparent that the answer wold be "NO!" But ... the last visit long shift for me ... and I had to take a nap ... I "assumed" that my better half would enforce my rules?? But ... I get up look for "Rocky" in the living room and don't see him??

I go to the back and look outside and there is "Rocky" standing calmly beside my DIL side and smiling??? I had done a lot of work to achieve that behaviour but I had "zero" interest in proofing it?? Apparently while I was asleep my wife took advantage of my work with "Rocky" and it worked out fine.

One of the differences between "Pros" and "Pet People" is you don't when your work is done.??
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

Teaching a 14 week old puppy to "place" for two hours by Thanksgiving is NOT a realistic goal as time should be increased by only by a couple of minutes per week.

Teaching a puppy to "place" for two hours does not leave you with a way to manage the puppy for the other 22 hours.

I agree with bringing the crate with you. This is supposed to be a fun and festive time for you and your family and the crate will permit you to do so without worrying about your puppy breaking training, being needlessly stressed or getting into, or eating, something that would ruin your holiday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page