Training puppies is so much fun! Umm... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Training puppies is so much fun! Umm...

So Enya started learning to stand with her front feet on a large overturned food bowl. I use the word target. She is beginning to understand and often gets one foot on it quickly so we're working on both feet. Every once in a while she'll put both feet up and as she's rewarded she'll open her mouth, get this glint in her eye and collapse, both front feet still on the bowl. It's like she's laughing. Then she'll pick up one foot and put it back down on the bowl and then the other, still lying down. She'll tilt her head and give a small bark, like where's the reward?

I'm beginning to recognize 'the look' before she decides to add her own twist to things. If she's in a sit stay the mouth will open, tongue slip out and tilt her head. Then she'll start scratching, stop and look at me, and do it again.

If on lead she'll be walking just fine and then turn and give me 'the look' and quickly grabs the lead in her mouth, trotting along like she's in charge of the walk now. If I pretend not to see it, look away, she'll wait for me to look back down at her and then grab it. She's a pistol!

But I think our favorite time is just before bed when we'll go out, no training, just walk the fence line. She'll stop and sit in front of me every so often for me to rub her ears, or stop dead in front of me, back to me, looking over her shoulder so I'll do long body strokes down her back. She'll run around, looking over her shoulder to know where I am and come running back to me. Right before we go in she'll run and grab this small log she found and carry it up to the door wanting to bring it in and I tell her to leave it. She'll put it in the corner next to the door and is ready to go in. Of course the next night it's back out in the yard somewhere. She's 15 weeks old today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:49 PM

That's cute,turning everything into a gameShe sounds fun!
Deb likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

She is and she does like to turn everything into a game!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page