Sleeping through the night? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Sleeping through the night?

I want to start training our puppy to sleep through the night, but at 11 weeks, she's still waking up a few times to go to the bathroom. If her last bathroom break is at 10pm, then she'll wake up again at 12:30, 3am, and 5 am for bathroom breaks. I wouldn't mind one or two trips before her wake up, but currently, we're waking up about 4 times in the night to go. She doesn't have any accidents but neither of us have gotten more than 4 hours of sleep in the last 3 weeks.

I've hear advice that we should cut off all food and water 2 hours before bed time, but when we tried that last, she would vomit up bile at about 5am. Right now, she'll have her last meal at about 9-9:30 pm and then her first meal at around 6:30 am.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Elite Member

I think I cut mine off at around 8 PM. He was fine, and I remember waking up several times a night till he was about 13 weeks old. By 13 I expect him to hold it. He never messed in the crate. You may have to deal with it another week or two. Or just deal with clean up.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

All puppies are different, so all start sleeping through the night at different ages, just like human babies. I've had a few that slept through at 8 weeks, others that were closer to 12 weeks. Enya is 10 weeks and goes 7 to 8 hours. It just takes a lot of patience and sometimes lack of sleep to get to that point. If I have to go out in the middle of the night I do the same as someone in another thread said, puppy is carried out, put down, ignored and brought back in. There is no playing or attention given to them. It's not a fun time to get out of the crate at night, it's about doing their business and that's all.
Shooter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

Over 5 months for our male puppy. Our rescue puppy who is now older was night trained at 4 months. The male needed a larger bladder.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Banned

I totally feel you.

My female puppy can sleep through the night at 16 weeks (whew) now. At 8 weeks she needs to go every 2 hours or she would soil the crate. At 11 weeks she still needs to go two times during night. At 13 weeks it was reduced to two. (She was not happy those nights when I made the switch.)

I would say just force her to stay in her crate longer since she does not soil her crate. If she soils her crate just go back to the original schedule.

Though the problem with increasing time interval really fast is that my puppy needs to go RIGHT AWAY first thing she gets woken up. Like, if I wake up and the noise wake her up and then I go wash my face etc, by the time I am finished, she would soil her crate. However she is now pretty good, and I have time to search for my shoes instead of going out in slippers etc.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 AM

Ha! Im my own worst enemy in that case. I cant go all night anymore. So when I get up... my boy starts with the I gotta pee whine. Oh well, the joys of getting old with a young pup.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

I'm going to be smug. Raff, at now just 9 weeks is doing incredibly well sleeping through most of the night. I'm the one with sleep issues.

He went to bed last night around 10 pm and made it through till 4 am, which is fine because I'm always up at 4 am.

His only odd potty issue is the re-pee. Whenever he goes potty, it never fails, he will,have to do one very short little re-pee before he's done.

Important to know that so you don't bring him in the house prematurely.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunYue97 View Post
I totally feel you.

My female puppy can sleep through the night at 16 weeks (whew) now. At 8 weeks she needs to go every 2 hours or she would soil the crate. At 11 weeks she still needs to go two times during night. At 13 weeks it was reduced to two. (She was not happy those nights when I made the switch.)

I would say just force her to stay in her crate longer since she does not soil her crate. If she soils her crate just go back to the original schedule.

Though the problem with increasing time interval really fast is that my puppy needs to go RIGHT AWAY first thing she gets woken up. Like, if I wake up and the noise wake her up and then I go wash my face etc, by the time I am finished, she would soil her crate. However she is now pretty good, and I have time to search for my shoes instead of going out in slippers etc.
We keep a plastic bin right next to the door, containing our potty shoes for easy access. May be a decorating faux pas, but it works.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Having only had my puppy for a few nights, he's 11 weeks, I am reminded of when my daughter started teething and this is a piece of cake! Its frustrating but just tell yourself "This too shall pass." Only a couple more weeks and you'll be good to go. With that being said, my guy went out at 11 before I went to bed, again at 2:30 and at 5:30 when I got up for work. I also only give him a very limited amount of water after dinner time and before bed time. Maybe that helps.

Archer

Last edited by BigHemi45; 01-03-2017 at 09:06 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

Make sure nothing is rewarding for the pup in the night time potties. For examle, I had to keep a leash and collar by my pup's crate because prior to that I would carry him out and he would kiss my face along the way. I stopped carrying him so that I could avoid interacting with him and so he wasn't getting any reinforcement for being out other than being able to empty his bladder. When he was pottied I would just say a very quiet praise, I usually would not touch him other than to put the leash on and take it off, back in the crate with no fan fare.

Once I eliminated all the other rewards he was getting for getting out of the crate (kissing my face, grabbing toys on the way tl the front door--I had to put all the toys in the basket at bedtime), all he got was a quiet boring trip to the potty. So if he really had to go he knew he could get taken out to go but that's all. From that point he very naturally progressed to holding it longer and longer u til he could sleep through the night but he was still needing a potty break at 11 weeks I am pretty sure.

For a pretty long while he couldn't make it past 5am, but by then I was getting like 7 hrs of sleep and that felt like heaven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page