He is perfect until... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Julian G
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 2 Post By Josh and Jagger

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

He is perfect until...

...I sit down. Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration but let me explain. Jagger turned 6 months yesterday and training is going great. I've had him since he was just shy of 9 weeks and never had any crate issues, never pottied in the house. He's doing well with heel, sit, down, stay, place and even recalls. Besides living up to his true landshark potential i've had no complaints. I have however noticed in the last week or so that he is starting to "think" about obeying IF i don't have on a treat pouch, he's not wearing a leash in the house or i'm sitting down. Having raised two human children through baby/teenage years i'm amazed at the similarities. Is this newfound willfulness par for the course at this age? BTW, he's just really starting to teeth.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Banned

I would ration out half his food and use it for training. Don't feed him completely from the bowl. Also, buy a tug and have that be a reward.
Leerburg | 2-Handled Synthetic Mini Tug
car2ner likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:00 PM

ah, the doggy pre-teen years. Their thinking through their willingness to obey or not is important. This is when you need the high value treats and well timed corrections, and a great sense of humor. The more you repeat good behavior, the better. Find as many opportunities to do recall (use a long line to reinforce) and place and such. Also try to never let them practice bad behavior. Yeah, that is actually impossible but do the best you can to stop any bad behavior at the first ear twitch.

have fun
dogma13 likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I figured that's what i was dealing with. As long as he has the leash on and knows there will be consequences or i have treats he is 100% obedient. But as soon as he gets a "free" moment where he knows i can't correct him or he can't see the treat pouch i can see his brain working before he obeys. He's raw fed so i can't really use his food as treats. I mean i guess i can if you think that will help. But I don't think him not liking his treats is an issue. Like i said, if he knows i have treats he is on it...no thinking necessary.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Knighted Member

You could use cooked chicken breast cut up into cubes as treats and then decrease the amount you feed him that day accordingly (or substitute your particular 'treat').

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I always called it the 'Who me?' stage. It's like they pretend to not hear or see you if they don't want to do it. As everyone said, this is when you have to be in hyper drive to follow through so it can't become habit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm definitely going to stay vigilant. I knew going into this that it was going to be work if i didn't want to live with a large uncontrollable dog. I've had little dogs my entire life. What i find interesting about him is how similar it is to my kids...LOTS of love and patience.
Deb and dogma13 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page