5Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul
  • 2 Post By cloudpump

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Crazy with excitement

My 9 month old male GSD has started a new habit. He goes into a almost uncontrollable frenzy when I take him to the dog park. It starts as a whimper in the car and grows to a barking / lunging / jumping episode as I take him from the car to the gate of the park. Once inside the gate he calms down and focuses. I know he is just excited but how do I get him to relax? Overall he is a awesome well behaved dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
My 9 month old male GSD has started a new habit.
Maybe you need to work on getting him to settle down or he can't go to the gate. Oakley would do this when I would go to take him out but I refuse to put his collar on unless he sits nice and isn't jumping or barking. Sometimes after the collar goes on he tries his bad behavior but I make him sit stay until he gets it. You just have to break the new habit and reward him with going to the gate and into the park, if the park is the reward, he's being rewarded for all the negative behaviors you don't want.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 03:25 PM

You are reinforcing all the barking and lunging by allowing him to go to the park. TiaMarie is spot on with her advice; don't give him the reward of entering the park until he shows he can be calm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 04:27 PM

Samson turns into a Tasmanian Devil when we're on our way to the woods for a run.The way I got him to quiet somewhat is by having my husband drive once so I could give him a leash pop to snap him out of it followed by the Quiet command.He still gets whiny but I can quiet him verbally when he begins to get wound up.When we arrive he has to stay in the car until the other two are released.He's never going to be calm and complacent about a run in the woods.That's not possible!But obedience while he's in that super excited state is possible.So anyway,that's how I deal with over the top excitement.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:18 PM

I might even go so far as driving away and coming back later. If you can start the consequence when you hear that first whimper. It is easier to stop at the beginning than when they are all revved up.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I might even go so far as driving away and coming back later. If you can start the consequence when you hear that first whimper. It is easier to stop at the beginning than when they are all revved up.
Wouldn't that be more like teasing and get him more amped up?IMHO it wouldn't be clear to the dog that leaving is a consequence of whining and being over excited.You can't really express to him "if you don't behave I'll turn this car around!"

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Wouldn't that be more like teasing and get him more amped up?IMHO it wouldn't be clear to the dog that leaving is a consequence of whining and being over excited.You can't really express to him "if you don't behave I'll turn this car around!"
Essentially I say the same thing but worded differently when my boy gets whiney on the way to the field. He know the meaning of "do you want to go" and the words field and quiet so he understands the gist when I say "do you want to go to the park, then be quite or we go home" and he settles. Not perfectly but I do like a little expression of enthusiasm .

I also don't enter the field unless he is keeping a lid on it and loose Ieash walking to the entrance. That couple of feet took a while to get to when he was first figuring out how to cap his excitement.

Also, by working through this until he does succeed in entering calmly is a great excersize in teaching self discipline.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Essentially I say the same thing but worded differently when my boy gets whiney on the way to the field. He know the meaning of "do you want to go" and the words field and quiet so he understands the gist when I say "do you want to go to the park, then be quite or we go home" and he settles. Not perfectly but I do like a little expression of enthusiasm .

I also don't enter the field unless he is keeping a lid on it and loose Ieash walking to the entrance. That couple of feet took a while to get to when he was first figuring out how to cap his excitement.

Also, by working through this until he does succeed in entering calmly is a great excersize in teaching self discipline.
Yes,you are stringing behaviors together.Which is awesome!What I was taking issue with is simply driving to the exciting park,leaving,going back,leaving.What has the dog learned?

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Yes,you are stringing behaviors together.Which is awesome!What I was taking issue with is simply driving to the exciting park,leaving,going back,leaving.What has the dog learned?
I see what you mean.

I don't know if this works for gsds in general but with my boy, when he was over amped to go in, the first few times teaching him, I waited for a settled first few steps. Praised him then with a big "let's go" would scurry in and praise again.

I did this because I wanted to reward his first successful efforts knowing the next few steps would probably be too much anticipation for him to cap.
dogma13 likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Elite Member

Have you thought about parking around the corner. He starts acting up stop. Once he calms, move forward. Then stop as soon as he starts to amp up.
Its essentially leash training. He's on a leash. He pulls, you stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page