Some Potty Training Advice Please? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Some Potty Training Advice Please?

Hey guys! My German Shepherd is 9 Weeks I've had him one week now...
I've been very consistent on his potty training, after he eats, naps, plays, in the middle of the night ect & he was very good for about 3 days maybe 1 accidental pee inside a day & I didn't mind just took him outside (tried to say STOP! while he was in the middle of going) rewarded him & showed him he was doing a good thing happy voice Good boy ect...

So it was going great!
( I let my dog sleep with me in my bed, say what you want I understand the advantages of crate training but I don't like crate training for my own reasons )
He was scared to jump off my bed in the middle of the night & he would whine wake me up & I'd take him out ( he never went potty on the bed we sleep on )...

HOWEVER

Recently, he's much more active... & It's a little harder to track when he's gotta go potty especially since we play a lot & he drinks a lot of water... Were having about 3-4 Pee's inside the house & he's no longer afraid to jump off my bed & I wake up to him wanting back on the bed & I already know he went potty while I was sleeping...

I'm sure he will get it, I'm not really frustrated just seeking some advice / tip's & expected time frame I might be able to trust him a bit more for going potty??

Usually when he wakes up from a nap he'll give me a few whines but I know his potty schedule right after a nap so it's not helpful but showing progress is nice.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:34 AM

I also let my dog sleep on my bed. Got him at 10.5 weeks and he's 16 weeks now. He's never had an accident in my bed and I like it because I'm instantly aware when he has to go. He can sleep through the night now (though I usually have to get up myself once, so I take him out too.)

My bed is very high, though, so he is not yet jumping off it. I'm impressed that a nine week puppy is jumping off your bed. It took my dog a few weeks to be able to go down steps.

What you might find helpful is to take up water a few hours before bed. Frankly I don't do that, and never really did it - mostly because we were having such a tremendous heat wave (even though I have AC we were out a lot) and I wasn't comfortable doing it, and since it wasn't a factor in his nighttime house training, I didn't feel I needed to. But since your pup is having a problem at night, you might want to take up the water. Also to make sure he has a good play session before bed, so he is tired and sleeps, and then, if you get up half way through the night, take him for a 15 min walk or so, so that he is tired when you return to bed.

I'm not sure what to do about your problem with the pup getting out of your bed. When my pup gets to that point, I actually think he'll be housetrained anyway, since he's been good for a bit, though I'm not sure I'd trust him roaming the house in the night since he's still a little young and teething to be unsupervised. His favorite place to sleep actually is the cool tile floor in the bathroom as opposed to his crate, and I might try blocking him in there. If you can think of a way to keep your pup in your bed, since that's where you say you prefer him to be, maybe moving the bed against the wall and sleeping on the open edge, or putting up some sort of barrier, that might work, but if not, you may have to either close your bedroom door, put him in a crate in your bedroom, or keep him in the bathroom.

As for during the day, we spent a lot of time outside, in the am, so that when we finally went back in, he was ready for a long nap. In the afternoon and evening, I was taking him out a lot, sometimes every half hour, after every play session, every cat nap, etc. The good news is it doesn't last more than a few weeks, and the pup will have more control.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:39 PM

Hi
This snippet advice comes from Toilet Training Your Puppy - 5 useful tips see the Expert Dog Advice website for more info.

Focus on the goal

If you want your puppy to do the her thing in a certain place, you need to reward her with amazing treats
You need to train him where you want him to go immediately every time she does it in the right place. You need to reward her amazing treats for a long time as this will reinforce the behavior you want her to do. All it takes are a few amazing tasting treats a few seconds after she has finished. This will create a connection between where she needs to go and the treat she receives. No more shouting, blood pressure rising, aggressive behavior on your side.

However, if you want to ensure that your puppy continues to poo or pee-pee in the places you want her to do it, you need to continue this for a number of weeks. A good piece of advice is to leave a jar with treats outside by the pee-pee area so that even if you forget to take treats out with you, there are always some at hand. This makes toilet training your puppy that much easier.

Hopes this helps.
Radley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page