Barking at any dog! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Barking at any dog!

My 4 month old GSD does not seem to like any dog that he comes in contact with. this past weekend was the first time he was able to go out after getting all of his shots. My wife and I took him on a walk and he barked at every single dog he saw. His bark was not a playful bark either, he tried to lunge and pulled on his leash. What can i do so that he does not bark at other dogs and want to bite them as well! I dont want to be THAT owner who has the bad scary dog, especially with him being a GSD. Please help! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 AM

Many of us have been through that face. Trust me. Please do not make a judgement on how your dog is going to turn up as an adult, based on behavior of 4 month old pup. My female GSD had and still has high dog aggression, but she is turning out be a great gsd winning shows, and very well mannered companion dog. My male pup (six moths) will lunge at cows and always looking for a fight.

Best thing is to socialize them with people and other animals which you are already doing. Just when you see a dog or live stock approaching your pup, go close to your pup say "Easy Easy". If you see he is getting tensed (hackles up) change the direction of your walk and take him away (increase the distance between your pup and the other animal).

Every time your pup tries to lunge, say a firm "No" and the moment you see that he is not lunging but watching the other animals closely, immediately praise him. It will take some time. But you will be fine. (After all you have GSD, not a Lab, Ha Ha).

Last edited by TEZPUR1976; 09-13-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Typo
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:19 AM

I'm going to assume because he is a puppy that this is not dog aggression, and is rather just the combination of a stubborn GSD and curiosity/possible fear.

We've taken Rollo to a few reactive walking classes simply because he is so adjusted to off-lead running around and play that when he is on lead, he doesn't understand that he's not allowed to go up and meet other doggies. When he realises we're passing by them without meeting, he would bark and lunge in their direction, which generally other owners interpret as "OMG VICIOUS GSD".

We've essentially been taught to keep his attention, make ourselves more interesting than the other dogs and offer huge praise for when the focus is back on you. A squeaky ball (or his fave toy), treats and the investment of a no-pull harness are so valuable whilst out on walks. I'd suggest searching up videos on training "look at me" or similar, and obedience classes to acclimatise him to the doggy world - he will bark at the beginning of class, but guaranteed after ten minutes of focusing on training, he'll calm down. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page