Training to not bark at certain times? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Training to not bark at certain times?

Hello, just wondering your opinions on how to deal with specific barking when Bane (4months) is crated. He only barks when we crate him and we start grabbing the keys or walking away and hears the door open. (He will stop when he realizes we aren't there anymore, or if he sees us walking away outside already) He also barks when we crate him for cleaning as well. (His bark is super loud and we live in apartments (large ones but we still have two neighbors)

He doesn't bark when we crate him for night time. And he does go to his crate during the day to rest.

Most of what i read was to ignore him, will the behavior fade away this way? Or is there something better we can be training him to do? We don't want him to develop separation anxiety ect. He does whine when we leave the room and he will either go two ways (be good and wait patiently or find something to take off the couch and show us when we come back into the room)

He also knows Speak and Quiet though he just starting to get the just of it and makes mistakes every now and then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 PM
Crowned Member

Bane is doing very well for such a young puppy. Since he stops barking when you go out of the door, that shouldn't cause much disturbance. So I would suggest that you just continue to do what you are doing. I would keep up practicing the speak and quiet lessons. For the cleaning, when my Sting was a puppy, and I was just dusting or doing the dishes, he had to come along and help - I had him on his leash and he would follow me as I dusted. He had his rope toy to chew. For the dishwashing, he laid at my feet with his bear toy for company. For the vacuum, I let him off leash and he could watch - he never was afraid of it. When I needed to clean the bathroom, he waited outside the door. It did take a little longer but he did learn to follow and observe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Sting sounds amazing! And giving Bane a toy might just do it. (Me and my boyfriend have teamed up before and one of us would distract bane by playing with him while the other sweeps the floors) He thinks the broom is a giant toy for him. Will bow and bark accordingly. Sometimes we want to clean up faster which is why we crated him so we could both clean at the same time. But maybe it is a better idea for him to just get use to the broom out of his crate and have a toy for him to play with so he doesn't attack it. Thanks for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

I'd ignore him when he barks when you're leaving him whether in a crate or other room. He has to be left alone and/or with others at times, otherwise he will have separation anxiety.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM

broom chasing, what fun. My boy likes to chase the vacuum. The machine is in the classic dog play pose and smells like the whole family and softly growls. No wonder he thinks it is a big toy. We had some luck with giving treats for waiting on one side of the room while we cleaned the floors. It would have worked like a charm IF i were consistent with it, but I got lazy.

For coming and going, the best thing to do is to not make it a thing. Crate a little while before you actually leave. When you pick up your keys, just walk out with no "be a good boy, we'll be back" talk. I know it is hard (well it is for me) but if coming and going is no big deal for you, it will become less of a deal for him.

by the way, this works for little kids too, just saying.

Have your neighbors said anything? We had our dogs visiting with my daughter last week and they did a bit of barking. When I asked my daughter and son-in-law if they heard us while they were outside, they said no. I do know many apartments do very little to buffer sound between units, though.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Crowned Member

Walk in and out of the room 100 times while he is in the crate. At first, don't leave him more than a few seconds, but walk by, ignore him, and then walk out again like you are busy. Do this for a few weeks every chance you get. He will learn quickly that you always come back. My dogs all whined at first, now they don't.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
broom chasing, what fun. My boy likes to chase the vacuum. The machine is in the classic dog play pose and smells like the whole family and softly growls. No wonder he thinks it is a big toy. We had some luck with giving treats for waiting on one side of the room while we cleaned the floors. It would have worked like a charm IF i were consistent with it, but I got lazy.

For coming and going, the best thing to do is to not make it a thing. Crate a little while before you actually leave. When you pick up your keys, just walk out with no "be a good boy, we'll be back" talk. I know it is hard (well it is for me) but if coming and going is no big deal for you, it will become less of a deal for him.

by the way, this works for little kids too, just saying.

Have your neighbors said anything? We had our dogs visiting with my daughter last week and they did a bit of barking. When I asked my daughter and son-in-law if they heard us while they were outside, they said no. I do know many apartments do very little to buffer sound between units, though.
Sounds good yeah we usually crate him right before we leave and head out once he is in there. Definitely going to try this,will update his progress when he gets better with this Neighbors have not said anything as of yet. Not sure if they know its us yet but we have heard two dogs bark from across the street in another apartment building when we are outside so not sure what it sound like in an apartment next door. (Our apartments are kinda like community set up so the streets are pretty close together with 4-8 big apartments in each building)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Walk in and out of the room 100 times while he is in the crate. At first, don't leave him more than a few seconds, but walk by, ignore him, and then walk out again like you are busy. Do this for a few weeks every chance you get. He will learn quickly that you always come back. My dogs all whined at first, now they don't.
Gotcha! he definitely is going to bark up a storm, assuming we should wait till after he stops barking to come back again. We will probably try practicing this on weekends so our neighbors hopefully don't mind

Thanks guys definitely learned a lot from lurking on the forums but really helps to get personal feedback from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page