Training treat suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Training treat suggestions

Hi,
I am looking for advice on what is the best for treat training. Currently I am using packets bought at the local pet store but to much of them couldn't be good. Any ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

I like red barn food rolls. Of the food rolls I have tried it seems to have the best consistency once you have diced it for training, meaning it doesnt crumble or turn to mush as bad as some others I have tried. I will dice it and put it in ziplocks and freeze and whole mess of them and then just take them out day by day as needed. It is a complete food so you can substitute for some of your pup's daily rations if you are using a lot of food in training.
Deb likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Hi Stephen,

How old is your dog? I ask because mine is still a puppy, 15 weeks. I can get away with just his regular dry kibble for the most part. I have just started to train 'stay' and for that have introduced a higher value treat, Stewart's Liver treats, I have used both chicken and turkey, and break into small bits. My recommendation would be to use his kibble for as long as you can still get him to work and only go to higher value treats for the harder stuff.

If he is an adult dog, you might not be able to get away with that.

Lorraine and Cairo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Knighted Member

I use anything I can find that is freeze dried and has 1 ingredient. Liver, tripe, lung, etc...
Irie likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:41 PM

Depends on the dog!

Generally, use something decently healthy but a small piece of something your dog will "work" for. The piece has to be small enough that the dog can eat it quickly and continue with training. Not too small, or they lose interest.

But some real life examples:
I had one dog who would eat anything - I could use bits of apple, carrot, etc. as a reward. So with him I tried to use a variety of (healthy) foods to keep his interest, as having something new to eat was also motivating to him.

A few of my dogs have been picky, so I then have to base my choices on what they will work for.

My puppy goes insane by just using kibble for training treats (for now)!

Generally with my dogs I use a fancy kibble for most training - I buy one of the Orijen sample bags and use that. For my puppies, I just use their food with a random jackpot of a bit of meat so that I can generally not mess up their nutrition too badly. Or at least I think I'm helping

Small pieces of meat are pretty high up for most dogs. I try to keep an eye on the sodium content though.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

The most creative one I had was a friend who used rabbit poo. Her dog was not food motivated but loved that stuff

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

She is 12 weeks old and the kibble doesn't really get her interested. I was thinking some chicken cut into small pieces. Pic below Sadie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160902_211526_1472847624524.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	383537  
Deb, zetti, carlock and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

Ziwipeak dog food. It's an air dried raw diet that's 95% meat and organ. Instead of being a kibble it is like little pieces of jerky (think the healthy version of pupperoni texture wise). The pieces are PERFECT sized for training. Its a complete diet so you can feed a bunch. As training treats it is WAY more cost effective then the treats they sell at the store.

I also like K9 natural freeze dried green lamb tripe. It's pieces I feel need to be broken in half to be training sized - but a really good high value reward.

My guy is also find of blue berries and mango. I sometimes buy freeze dried blue berries to mix in his treat bag.

And of course just good old cooked meat lol.
gsdluvr likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 AM
Elite Member

I have just learned to make beef jerky in my dehydrator, so I will be making some dried beef strips for training treats, cut into tiny pieces. My dog is not very food motivated, and turns away from bits of hot dogs, etc.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:19 AM
Elite Member

We use Natural Balance cut into small pieces. The dogs love the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page