11 week old knows commands, but doesn't obey them. Why? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

11 week old knows commands, but doesn't obey them. Why?

My 11 week old knows the following commands and how to perform them:

1. Sit
2. Stay (2-3 seconds)
3. Lay Down
4. Go in your crate.
5. Drop it
6. Come
7. Lets go (walk with me)

I know he knows these because when I am about to give him an extremely tasty treat he obeys them 100% willingly and will do ANYTHING for the treat.

however, when there is a less tasty treat involved or no treat at all and just praising (good boy) he 50/50 follows them, sometimes ignoring me completely.

I understand he is young, so I'm reaching out to the experience of the forum users. Is this just protest because he is young or does he have no respect? Is he challenging me as alpha? Will he grow out of this or do I need to do something different?

I try and make all training fun and short like an earlier thread mentioned I should do, so I am open to polite & constructive criticism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:17 PM

He's just an infant.When there's no fabulous reward involved everything in the world is more interesting and rewarding than obeying a command.Right now you are just laying a foundation as he slowly matures and his attention span slowly increases.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:22 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

He doesn't know the commands. He is a baby. Lower the expectation. He has short attention span and the world is super interesting. Keep doing what you are doing. He will get it.
LJak007 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

I don't have any more puppies--this is like the first time in forever, but when training I used treats for the first year. They dwindled as they got older and then they stopped. Once they learn it, practice it. To this day I still do sits/stays/front/wait commands daily with mine, just to make sure they don't forget.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:44 PM

He is not challenging you as alpha. You're just not being interesting enough to counteract what I like to refer to as PADD (puppy attention deficit disorder ). He's just a baby- his attention span will get better with age. Keep it up with the extra-yummy treats for now.
LeoRose, dogma13 and voodoolamb like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 03:59 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alext72888 View Post
My 11 week old knows the following commands and how to perform them:

1. Sit
2. Stay (2-3 seconds)
3. Lay Down
4. Go in your crate.
5. Drop it
6. Come
7. Lets go (walk with me)

I know he knows these because when I am about to give him an extremely tasty treat he obeys them 100% willingly and will do ANYTHING for the treat.

however, when there is a less tasty treat involved or no treat at all and just praising (good boy) he 50/50 follows them, sometimes ignoring me completely.
At his age it's highly unlikely that he truly KNOWS all those commands. If he's not doing them all the time, no matter the circumstances, then he hasn't fully generalized them. Test your sit command - will he sit across the room from you? Will he sit if you tell him to while you're laying in bed, sitting in a chair or on the floor? With your back turned? When he's in the car, at the vets office, walking near a busy street? In every room in your house at any time of day? Even if he will do that, he may not be able to comply around heavy distractions, so you'd need to train under those conditions too. Any time you make it more challenging you should lower your criteria accordingly and work your way back up, and your rate of reinforcement should reflect that.

Quote:
Is this just protest because he is young or does he have no respect?
Yes, it's because he's young, but no, it has nothing to do with protesting or lack of respect, any more than a 6 month old human baby is capable of protesting or not respecting it's parents. That's about the developmental level of an 11 week old puppy and neither is capable of such complex feelings or behavior.

Quote:
Is he challenging me as alpha? Will he grow out of this or do I need to do something different?
No, he is not challenging you, nor is he trying to be alpha. Dogs really don't simply "grow out" of anything. Maturity will help, as his attention span increases, but training will still be necessary. One important thing that you can do differently is to just lower your expectations. Keeping them reasonable based on what a young puppy is actually capable of will leave you less frustrated and make training and life in general more fun for both of you.
misfits, LeoRose, dogma13 and 3 others like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:19 PM
Elite Member

Keep in mind two things.

1. Puppies are very distractible. It will take time for him to improve focus and follow through. Also, if he gets bored, he is that much more distractible.
2. Dogs do not generalize very well. So sit in the backyard where you do most of your training is not the same as sit in the middle of town, or in a park or at your friends house. To a dog it is all different. So you commit to work at it for 2 years at least.
LeoRose and voodoolamb like this.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Crowned Member

I often train high reliability behaviors on puppies that age for clients pretty regularly but it's with tactful pressure not treats. With my own dogs I tend not to do it. I place high priority on things like recall,potty training, crate behavior, how to relax with me in the house, and also on teaching the dog games like tug and retrieve that I can use to motivate them later on.

All that position nonsense can start when they are older.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Crowned Member

Puppies grow so quickly. By 11 weeks they don't look like babies anymore, but they are. He is familiar with the commands but far from proofed. If you are consistent and calm, he will learn.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Okay great. Thank you for all the feedback.

I'm doing this little bit of training with him before I can go to a professional because he doesn't have all of his booster shots yet.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page