Horrible progress with potty training, PLEASE HELP - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Horrible progress with potty training, PLEASE HELP

Ok so today, Simba is 8 weeks old, I have to keep a watchful eye on him 24/7 in fear of him having an accident. The only place he would not go is his crate, but once he gets out, he can poop right on the door. We wake up to his screaming at 5 am (doesn't bother me but my mom can't sleep) so she goes downstairs and let's him roam around his fairly small laundry room with the door closed. He will poop in the middle of it, food on one side, crate on the other. What happened to not pooping where they slept? And how do I get him to associate the WHOLE house (which is fairly big) as "the place he sleeps." I will not do the "rub his nose then slap him " method, the only way we don't mess up is if we crate him for 20 mins after food then take him out. My family is really starting to get frustrated and do not want a dog in the house, even the ones that wanted one to begin with. Any help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Knighted Member

Hi Raquan,

Your pup is a baby yet! 8 weeks is too young for him to be reliably house-broken. And yes, you are right, they need to be watched 24/7 at this stage! If you can't watch him, he needs to be in a crate. It's definitely a lot of hard work. But it's worth it in the long run. And it's great that your pup hasn't learned to soil his crate!

Young pups need to be taken outside about every 1-2 hours. Plus after they wake up from a nap, after they have been exercising or playing, and any time they are sniffing around or acting like they might need to go outside. If you can't watch the puppy, make sure he is in a crate, NOT the laundry room. It is too big. The crate should be just large enough for him to get up and turn around--otherwise he could soil the corner and sleep on the other side, as he does in the laundry room. If he does make a mistake, clean it up with an enzyme cleaner so that he doesn't continue to be attracted to the spot.

Until he is older, someone will need to take him outside to potty during the night and early morning as well. Like human babies, young puppies cannot control their bladders from 10 pm until whenever you or your family get up. I usually take 8 week puppies out at midnight and then again around 3 am and then 6 am.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Crowned Member

Your puppy is a BABY! You have unrealistic expectations. You should be taking your pup out to potty every two hours. At this point, your pup cannot have access to the entire house. He needs to be crated and/or have limited access. When my pup was not crated, I kept her in the tiled kitchen with a baby gate. It will be many weeks, before your pup doesn't have an accident. So yes, right now, you pretty much do have to watch him 24/7. Take him out consistently after every meal and every few hours. I hope your Mom is taking him out, when he wakes up at 5am. He is most likely saying he needs to potty. He should be taken to potty and then put right back in the crate. It is not play time. Your Mom should turn off the light, go back to bed and ignore him. As he gets older and is better able to hold it, he will stop having accidents and can gradually earn more freedom in the house.

I am so glad you would not rub his nose in it. That is very old school, not helpful and a mean thing to do. If you put the work in now, taking your pup out every two hours, he will be housebroken before you know it. When you take him out and he goes potty, praise, praise, praise!

Best of luck with your baby.
Mudypoz likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Elite Member

Keep at it and keep consistent and thoughtful. You will not have reliability until 14-16 weeks and even then it has to be age appropriate. They are not little adult humans. Patiences and consistency are your friend.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquan View Post
Ok so today, Simba is 8 weeks old, I have to keep a watchful eye on him 24/7 in fear of him having an accident. The only place he would not go is his crate, but once he gets out, he can poop right on the door. We wake up to his screaming at 5 am (doesn't bother me but my mom can't sleep) so she goes downstairs and let's him roam around his fairly small laundry room with the door closed. He will poop in the middle of it, food on one side, crate on the other. What happened to not pooping where they slept?
They don't poop where they sleep and by that I mean they will not lay in their own feces. You basically have like a one foot radius where the puppy will try to avoid going(and if they can move to a new spot to go then they will). If the crate is big enough, they will poop on one side and sleep in the other. That's why crates come with dividers, so you can make the sleeping area smaller.

Quote:
And how do I get him to associate the WHOLE house (which is fairly big) as "the place he sleeps."
Potty train him.

Quote:
I will not do the "rub his nose then slap him " method, the only way we don't mess up is if we crate him for 20 mins after food then take him out. My family is really starting to get frustrated and do not want a dog in the house, even the ones that wanted one to begin with. Any help is appreciated

The only way to get him to go outside is to get him out there in time and reward him. Anytime there is an "activity" in his day, take him outside and have treats ready. Plays with a friend? Go outside. Eats? Go outside. Wakes from a nap? Go outside. And be realistic. He's too young to hold it like an adult dog. You wouldn't ask a baby to have the bladder of an adult, so you can't ask that of him.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 PM

And don't be surprised if it takes up to 2 or 3 months to fully potty train! My pup took about that long to finally realize that outside is the only place he should be going. After his first month with us, he would have a few weeks of no accidents, and we would get over confident with his ability, and boom, accident in the house, and we would go back to step one, taking him out every 30 minutes to an hour. Our fault for getting over confident.

The true sign of him being potty trained was when we had an awful thunder storm that had lasted about 3-4 hours, and he really needed to potty. So I went to let him out, and he kept taking a step out side, hear thunder, run back inside, and then stare at me in a panic like "I really need to go, but it's scary!" I ended up going outside and standing with him while he did his business, and boy did he have to go! He had held it for a log time.

Follow Baymax at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by milaneechan; 08-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Lets keep this simple for you.

If you can't DIRECTLY supervise the dog, its in the crate.
AS SOON as you let the dog out of the crate (leash and collar should be on before coming out of the crate) go STRAIGHT outside to potty. (Reward with food, its daily kibble) as soon as it goes potty.
If it doesnt go potty outside, it goes back in the crate.
Any nap the dog takes, is in the crate.
NO free roaming in your house.
The dog should only be out of the crate to go outside, eat/train (should be doing training via food protocols with daily kibble), or SUPERVISED playtime.
That dog should do anything for food, you can teach it sit, down, place, recall all with food. Do focus work.
Be consistent and keep that dog on a schedule.

Lastly, its only been alive for 8 weeks. IT DOESNT KNOW NOT TO GO POTTY INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.
Stonemoore and stepkau like this.

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 PM

Agreed with the others, 8 weeks is far too young for a puppy to understand or have bladder control. It's like expecting a human baby to not need a diaper.

General rule is that they should be able to hold it as many hours as they are months old (so, 2 hours for a 2 month old) but honestly I've found that they need to be taken out more often. Every 15-30 minutes sometimes. And some young puppies are able to sleep through the night without pottying, many are not. Yeah it's a hassle, but it's part of owning a puppy. Be diligent with taking him out more often and it will get better as he gets older.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 PM

He is screaming at 5am because he has to go potty. When your mom lets him out of the crate and into the laundry room, she is training him to potty in the room. At 8 weeks, I would be waking up twice a night to take the puppy outside to relieve itself. It is a hassle and a drain on sleep, but it's the commitment you made when you got the puppy. And it's also why I will never get a puppy in the winter (who wants to bundle up and go outside in the snow at 4am? Not me.)

Everyone here has very good advice regarding taking the pup out often, and not letting it EVER be unsupervised in the house. Trust me, it is a lot of work now, but it is worth it. I grew up with improperly potty-trained dogs, and I can tell you from experience that you really want to get this under control while the pup is young.
Mudypoz likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Ok so today, Simba is 8 weeks old, I have to keep a watchful eye on him 24/7 in fear of him having an accident. The only place he would not go is his crate, but once he gets out, he can poop right on the door. We wake up to his screaming at 5 am (doesn't bother me but my mom can't sleep) so she goes downstairs and let's him roam around his fairly small laundry room with the door closed. He will poop in the middle of it, food on one side, crate on the other. What happened to not pooping where they slept? And how do I get him to associate the WHOLE house (which is fairly big) as "the place he sleeps." I will not do the "rub his nose then slap him " method, the only way we don't mess up is if we crate him for 20 mins after food then take him out. My family is really starting to get frustrated and do not want a dog in the house, even the ones that wanted one to begin with. Any help is appreciated
This is your dog and your responsibility when you are home. You need to teach your family how to work with the dog when you aren't home. 8 weeks is very young. My male puppy peed all over the place at that age if I let him. It was my fault. I started taking him out every fifteen minutes during the day and every 3-4 hours at night. I also taught him to ring a string of bells tied to the outside door when he wanted to go out when he was older.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page