How do I build tug drive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

How do I build tug drive?

I have a young puppy, and somehow I managed to get him bored of some of his tug toys

However, he is still crazy for others.

How do I play with the tug in a way which makes the puppy want to come back for more as opposed to getting bored and looking for other toys?

Its really confusing me, I can't see what I am doing wrong in the slightest. I'm moving the toy away from him, he chases it, we have a good game, and repeat it and he begins loosing interest.

Whats going on? Is there a technique to this?

Last edited by CiElBie; 08-19-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

Take video of what you are doing
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

Take all the toys away. Don't leave them laying around. Make play interactive. Get/make a flirt pole and use it on a soft surface to chase/catch to build prey drive. Be excited when you introduce the tug. Keep it interactive; let him win and keep it when he pulls hard; call him back to you, repeat. Be enthusiastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Master Member

All of the above answers. Plus, how old is your pup? Many puppies don't have much of an attention span for anything! Be sure to keep the sessions short. It could be as short as 30 seconds?? or 2 minutes depending on your pup, time of day etc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses

@Balif
That could be a little difficult since I live alone. I could give it a try.

@ausdland
Yes, I have a flirtpole, and he goes nuts for it. Its not a problem on his end with him not having enough drive (he has bags of it. loves to tug the toys he wants to tug at that moment), its just that old toys that I play with him that he gets bored of and searches for more interesting toys.
I do everything you suggested already, but thanks for the advice

@gsdluvr
He is 16 weeks old. I'll try to keep the sessions short.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Thinking about it, the real question is how do I make interacting and playing tug with me more exciting than ignoring me and chewing a toy?

I've realised I mainly have this issue when I want him to interact with me, and not wonder around the room looking for toys he prefers, or chewing toys or balls that he prefers over the toy in my hand.
Surely playing tug and chasing the toy more exciting than that dead toy, or looking for a better toy?

I know I could remove all other toys, but its not really as simple as that. I want him to know that if he comes to interact with me, he gets a much more fun time than by chewing that dead toy. Also, if i remove the toy he wants so he cant get it, it wont stop him from trying to find a toy as exciting.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

He'll soon outgrow his toys and desire interactive play. If you don't want him to disengage with you to play with other toys in his own, all I can think of is to pick them all up and put them away and let him be w/o for a while until you introduce the tug. At 4 months it'll be short sessions. He's a typical litte puppy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Master Member

Don't forget, teething! Playing tug is usually suspended during this period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page