Puppy not warming up to husband**PLEASE HELP** - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Puppy not warming up to husband**PLEASE HELP**

All,

I am very close to selling my AKC, Pedigree puppy very soon if I can't figure this out. The breeder I bought my german from was a female breeder and thats the only human that took care of my pup. Now, I have brought my pup home and does nothing but want to stand by myside. the puppy does nothing but rush to me when I leave the room. It seems as if he doesn't want to spend time or cuddle with my husband. Please help me my husband is very depressed and just wants the puppy to love him.

thank you all for you suggestion and input. We are both new to this breed of Dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 06:01 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

How old is your puppy and how long have you had him?

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Have your husband feed the puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

GSD puppies don't bond just to love and cuddle. They bond with whomever works with them and feeds them. You cannot sit in a chair and expect a puppy to love and cuddle you. A cat will fulfill this better. Did you look into the breed before you adopted him? Honestly, if this was your hope, it is probably best to find him a home where he can use his wiring, especially when he is still young (you didn't mention his age). Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise she will grow up being a disappointment to you and it will end in a heartache for everyone, including the dog.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Have your husband feed the puppy.
Pretty much this. Husband feeds and tethers the dog to himself and in a few days puppy follows him everywhere after that. Animals have their own little version of Stockholm syndrome. Hold em hostage and eventually they just follow you around on their own.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Pretty much this. Husband feeds and tethers the dog to himself and in a few days puppy follows him everywhere after that. Animals have their own little version of Stockholm syndrome. Hold em hostage and eventually they just follow you around on their own.
The old tether training seems to get little attention these days.

Why do many dogs tend to fawn over the person that ignores them the most?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

I got my pup to be my next service dog. Hubby was supportive but admittedly not wild about adding a 3rd GSD to our house.

From day 1, I walk, feed, potty and train the puppy. From day 1, puppy thinks my husband is Santa Claus. He totally loves me too but honestly I think he loves my husband more. No explanation for it, they just have a bro-mance. I will say it is a relief how very much my husband loves him...it sucks living with dogs that are even slightly resented by the spouse. But our deal is not the norm.

I totally agree with everyone, the husband should feed, walk, play with puppy. And try not to be so emotionally invested in the outcome because when people really want something from an animal, sometimes it makes them feel weird. I dont know if that makes sense, but I have seen people trying to get my dogs to like them and my dogs were kind of like "you're weird", vs, someone who just loves dogs and says hi to the dogs and is excited to meet them, but they are equally happy.
Nigel, Chip18 and stepkau like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 04:11 AM

I just touched on this in another thread about socializing, and I don't want to thread hijack here, but I'm having the opposite problem of OP, and the solutions I'm reading aren't working.

My 14 w/o puppy is very attached to my husband, who I think he sees as the family protector. I understand that, seeing as he's a huge guy and I'm a pretty small woman, and my husband is generally more confident than I am.

That said, I've been trying since the beginning to build a strong relationship with the pup. Initially he spent more time with my husband, but now that I can bring him to work, he's with me about 40% of the time (including time when both of us are there), and I do 80% of his feeding and training.

I think he does have more fun when he goes to work with my husband- bigger office, going out to lunch, etc., and he lets him get away with murder, has less rules, plays more rowdy with him, etc., so maybe this is one of the causes. Would being less strict for now about things like ending play when he starts biting a lot, not feeding/treating until he sits, and not pulling on the leash actually be better in the long run?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

Play is the number 1 builder of relationship. It isn't food. It isn't cuddling. It isn't even affection. The number 1 builder of relationship between dogs and dogs or dogs and humans is play. You can create an attraction between yourself and a dog with food or pressure or whatever but play is what really makes the relationship.

So all of you who are having trouble bonding with dogs and your significant other is winning them over that is probably the single biggest factor. Either you don't play or the dog thinks you suck at it.
Jax08, Nigel and wolfy dog like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Crowned Member

GSDs often have a favorite person. Don't try so hard. Enjoy the pup. For goodness sake, I did everything for my previous shepherd - fed, trained, exercised, etc. And she worshiped the ground my husband walked on. Followed his every movement. He didn't even like her. Of course that changed. I mean that kind of adoration gets to you. When my old girl passed, my husband and son wanted a smaller dog. We adopted a hound mix puppy. Even though he was supposed to be for them, he is a 'Mama's boy'. We adopted a female shepherd pup for me. And... you got it - she adores my husband. She's a 'Daddy's girl.' I think it's hilarious. I love them both and they love me, but Shelby loves 'Daddy' more.

Relax and enjoy your pup. Don't force it.

Hmmm, see you have a male pup. I know it isn't always true and many here will say it isn't true, but often I have seen female GSDs choose the male owner as their favorite person. That is the case with us. My 'female' friend has always had female GSDs. Her husband was always the favorite. Then, she got a male GSD. Now she is the favorite. You can't take those things personally. That is just silly.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page