What to teach an 11 week old puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What to teach an 11 week old puppy?

Sherman is 11 weeks. I need some ideas about what to teach him. He knows sitz and watch me perfectly. Currently doing platz(down), come, aus(drop it), and walking next to me. He learns sooooo fast. I've only had him 5 days. Want him to enjoy being a puppy but also want to get him ready to be a well behaved dog!

Kathy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 04:12 PM

Sounds like he is a very smart pup! I got my Oakley at 11 wks old, and now he is 14 weeks today! I would say he has learned about 2-3 new commands each week.

He does: go to bed (crate), sit, down, come, look at me, play dead, roll over, shake, high-five, and rings his dog bell to go outside.

We are working on stay, leave it, and drop it- mainly because these take much more attention span to master and I feel he gets bored easily during training with these ones. (I think they take a lot of patience too!)

I've been watching dog training videos on youtube to get ideas for things to teach him and I just try to keep it fun when we do, if he's not in the mood then I just stop or try later. Training can be fun for a puppy and it sets up healthy structure for them. We started with clicker training and now I use clickers to introduce new commands because the reward of the click comes faster than I can actually hand him a treat!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 PM

Relax and enjoy him!After he's had his final immunizations in a few weeks take him out and about and incorporate the skills he knows into play sessions with increasing distractions and all kinds of surfaces.And lots of breaks so he can look around and discover the world.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Elite Member

I'd start on leave it and the foundation for a good settle.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

If it were my puppy, I would have him off leash in the woods working on his recall and off lead heeling.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 PM

Gee Katdog, I have a 12 week old puppy and you make me feel like we are already falling behind. So far our training consists of me taking her out in the yard and getting her to focus on me. She is then rewarded with verbal praise ("Yes" or "Good" - a la Michael Ellis) and a treat. We've just started working on the down a couple of days ago.

I do live in a rural area, on a dead end road and across from a trail, so she does get a bunch of very short off-leash trail walks, which she loves. She's already likes to strut down the trail carrying an enormous stick.

I've also been trying to socialize her and she's been doing pretty well. She'll be a little hesitant when meeting new people, but that usually lasts about 10 seconds and then she becomes friendly, yet remains pretty calm.

Not sure what else I should be doing and would be interested to hear recommendations from others. Basically I want to keep things fun. Ultimately am most concerned about making her calm and confident, strengthening my bond with her and laying the groundwork to be able to compete at club level schutzhund.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Elite Member

Where to go potty and recall into a sit. Play, play, play.
I live in a small city so I had to teach basic ob. If I had an acre or more, I wouldn't train anything except recall until 5-6 months old. Just play.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 11:55 PM
Elite Member

i love working with young pups!

Position changes.
Rear end awareness by pivoting on a tub, book, cot and doing spins.
Muscle memory with foundation heeling.
Playing 2 ball.
Targeting.
Place: boundaries and impulse control.
Crate games.

"If you don't train them, don't blame them"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Can't walk in the woods around here....too many other dogs. Worried about parvo/lepto. Once he is fully vaccinated we will be going out and about!
I was thinking of just driving into town and letting him watch stuff from the car but it is soooooo hot.
Leave it is definitely on my to do list.
What would the foundations for settle be?

And how do I get him to enjoy his crate? He is fine at night but during the day......ugh. I am feeding him in it and trying to make it a special place. So far once he is done eating, the noise begins...

Kathy

Sherman-GSD 5/27/16
Stella-GSD 6/17/11-9/26/18 My universe will never be the same...I'm glad you came.
Ruben-Newfie/? mix 7/2003-5/25/16 a dog with a big heart, who was always there for me...miss you my old man

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

He should be out in the world by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page