Training Advise - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Training Advise

I'm a new and first time owner of a GSD. Yogi just turned three months and I have him working with a trainer once a week on an individual basis. He is doing well. The trainer and I have a bit of a communication issue but it's not a major difficulty. I live in Poland where English is not common. I don't know if I asked him correctly so I'd appreciate a little feedback.

Lately I have been letting Yogi sleep on my front porch area at night due to the house being a little warm. (air conditioning simply does not exist here!) When I bring him in at night and crate him he pants and overall doesn't seem comfortable in the heat but when I leave him on the porch he does well. If I understood my trainer correctly this may not be a good idea. He says it better that I have him near me at night. There are no issues with him at night. Barking is rare and I have a good fence and live in a remote area. Opinions??
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

Do you crate him on the porch? I don't htink the puppy needs to be in the same room with you but if he's more comfortable near the air, can't you crate him by the door where it's cooler?

No, I would not let him loose in a fenced yard alone all night. But that's just me.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:08 AM

From the 1st night I had my pup, she HAD to sleep near me. If she couldn't see me then all **** would break loose. I know that sleeping in the same room strengthens the bond between owner and dog so maybe that is why your trainer he must be near. I agree that he should be crated if outside even if porch is enclosed. There are 1000+ ways he could get hurt.
Do you have the ability to put a fan in your room to help with air movement? I sleep with a small box fan on the floor and my pup likes to have it pointed towards her when she sleeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

No, I haven't crated him when on porch. I thought about that and I should. I smile when you said near open window. Poland hasn't figured out screens yet either and living in the forest with an open window is not a great idea. I always though you could make a fortune here introducing the concept of window screens! I guess I make the new owner mistake of trying to be too nice. He likes laying on the cool tiles and I let him do it. Probably best we suffer together.
Chip18 likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

The fan is a great idea. Yes, I think the trainer was thinking along the idea of bonding and attention being primarily me. I know I make the same mistake on our morning walks. Once i get away from the logging roads I have a habit of letting him run. He found a campsite this morning and I was having to scramble to get stuff away from him that some irresponsible campers had left. I should have had him on leash! I love to see him run and play in the woods. I know that is a mistake at his age.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTinsley View Post
The fan is a great idea. Yes, I think the trainer was thinking along the idea of bonding and attention being primarily me. I know I make the same mistake on our morning walks. Once i get away from the logging roads I have a habit of letting him run. He found a campsite this morning and I was having to scramble to get stuff away from him that some irresponsible campers had left. I should have had him on leash! I love to see him run and play in the woods. I know that is a mistake at his age.
Let him run! As long as he's vaccinated and healthy. My dog is off leash as much as possible. If you are really worried get this https://www.chewy.com/sportdog-check...ange/dp/107764 then you can step on it if you need to. It rarely gets caught up because there isn't a handle.

I still use mine if I'm in a high traffic area as you can see in the picture.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Crowned Member

Letting a dog choose it's own place to sleep as it matures....as long as it isn't too risky or compromises the big picture....seems to be pretty straightforward. All of mine have chosen places which seem to be appropriate for all interests involved.

SuperG
Chip18 likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:19 AM

I love to let my pups run off leash as much as possible-I think it solves a lot of attention issues that can crop up later on. Plus, free running is good for a puppy! But I would put a long lead on the dog until it has at least a semi-reliable recall.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you....I love to let him run in the woods, but yes I can see the need for the long lead. I loose his attention when he starts to explore and it is difficult for me to recall him at this time. He ate a mole the other day before I could get to him and large toads really gets his attention. I'll try to get him a long lead asap. Our area also has a lot of dear, pigs, a moose or two and wolves. (non of which we have run into yet while out but the time is coming). I'm really curious how he will react when we encounter them.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

sorry, that should be "deer"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page