Pet Convincer - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Zaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23
Pet Convincer

Looking for feedback regarding the use of the Pet Convincer.

I am trying to correct jumping and random mouthing behavior, and have seen the Convincer recommended in a few videos.

They cost around $40, and for that amount I can get a couple of tugs I've been looking at so I just wondered if anyone has used one and if it was effective.

Thank You!
Zaxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Member
 
Themusicmanswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 151
Not at all for me. I tried it when my pup was small and she thought nothing of it.
Themusicmanswife is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,657
They are only that expensive if you chose. You can get one from a Bicycle repair shop for 16 bucks or so, because it is a Bicycle air pump.

Don't aim it at the dog's ears or eyes, neck or shoulder should do it. There is an argument to made as to whether or not one should say "No" and the correct or say nothing and correct??

IE ..."Self Correction" Dog Training and Obedience Articles | Self Correction - Carpentersville, Illinois

If you use it you should make sure the dog is either leashed or in a secure area, the first time, he may freak out and bolt???

One Boxer owner reported that it did indeed "freak her dog out!" And she was now concerned about "deploying it again??" I suggested .."well you've made your point so instead of using the actual tool ...just make the "Pssst" sound. She reported back ... that "Pssst" sound now works out fine.

But I don't know it occurs to me that if the dog is doing this?? Most likely he is doing other "stuff" also?? You don't want to go from "issue to issue" you can take a more proactive approach. And establish more "Structured/Rules and Limitations" with him. And even if you otherwise have no other "issues" The Place Command should be "Trained" in anycase, it helps teach a dog to cope with doing nothing and they learn to listen to you.

That and other stuff are in here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/8006017-post7.html

And of course the importance of exercise. :
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-what-do.html

Ask questions and welcome aboard.
MacD and dogma13 like this.

Last edited by Chip18; 08-01-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Chip18 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MontCo, PA
Posts: 536
1). I used a bike tire inflator. Way cheaper... Is it that different from the Leerburg thing?

2) for us it was a very temporary tool. We used it for dog aggressive behavior but I think my dog is pretty sensitive to correction. It worked in the sense that he thinks twice before reacting negatively to a dog. However at a certain point he became too anxious about it and would just shut down. It also didn't help that a huge truck used their air brake and it made that pfffffft sound x100.... That was the turning point. Anyway, it did work in the sense of not going after dogs but our v ultimate goal is comfort around other dogs and it didn't help there .
Dotbat215 is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themusicmanswife View Post
Not at all for me. I tried it when my pup was small and she thought nothing of it.
LOL one of those dogs!
Themusicmanswife likes this.
Chip18 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxx View Post
Looking for feedback regarding the use of the Pet Convincer.

I am trying to correct jumping and random mouthing behavior, and have seen the Convincer recommended in a few videos.

They cost around $40, and for that amount I can get a couple of tugs I've been looking at so I just wondered if anyone has used one and if it was effective.

Thank You!
I'm sure you already have a leash. So correct the dog for jumping and teach him what you want him to do. Buy the tugs and teach him what to bite, and correct for biting what he shouldn't. I'm not real big on gimmicks.
Steve Strom is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:22 PM
Crowned Member
 
Jenny720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,204
I had used the pet convincer Max was not convinced- lol. Recently we were walking back from the beach and we have to exit from the camping grounds where people can go on one side of the beach with their pets it was crowded on the way out and had walked pass someone deflating his jeep tires it reminded me of the pet convincer sound just glad it did not make Max uncomfortable walking past.
Chip18 likes this.
Jenny720 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbat215 View Post
1). I used a bike tire inflator. Way cheaper... Is it that different from the Leerburg thing?
Hmmm should look something like this??

Planet Bike Air Ship CO2 Tire Inflator




Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbat215 View Post
2) for us it was a very temporary tool. We used it for dog aggressive behavior but I think my dog is pretty sensitive to correction. It worked in the sense that he thinks twice before reacting negatively to a dog. However at a certain point he became too anxious about it and would just shut down. It also didn't help that a huge truck used their air brake and it made that pfffffft sound x100.... That was the turning point. Anyway, it did work in the sense of not going after dogs but our v ultimate goal is comfort around other dogs and it didn't help there .
"Comfort around other dogs???" I've not heard that term?? So I'll ask you to define your conditions.

My dogs are "comfortable around other dogs" to me that means my dog will stand calmly while dogs bark in there faces, from behind fences. And will, stand behind me calmly while daddy deals with charging strays!

They can go the Vet's office and not make a scene. Well one occasion when my Am Band Dawg, acted nutty with a lab but no harm was done, no conflict, he was just being an idiot!( And my wife was at the leash on that one ...would not happened on my watch.)

And they don't act like fools when they see dogs on walks. To "me" that defines "comfortable around other dogs." But I did that by having a "Zero" Association" with other dogs policy. No "Dog Parks," No "I Thought My Dog Was Friendly People???" And on walks if other dogs approach?? I give ground if need be to gain space. It was years before they ever played with dogs and the those dogs were also balanced. Three strays brought them into the house released my dogs from "Place" after a few minutes and everybody had a great time.

But I have a "Hard Core" no other dog policy. No Dog, I do not know comes close enough to mine to do them harm. "I don't know you. I don't know your dog, you keep your distance I'll keep mine!" Works out fine.

If a "Zero" other dog policy works for you I got it covered. But the dogs on the beach thing all playing together happily?? I don't know, as it's not my thing. Most likely the same things are done?? But since that was not my goal. I'm not the guy to coach on how to produce that result??
Chip18 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:56 PM
Master Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MontCo, PA
Posts: 536
Quote:
My dogs are "comfortable around other dogs" to me that means my dog will stand calmly while dogs bark in there faces, from behind fences. And will, stand behind me calmly while daddy deals with charging strays!
That's more or less what I mean....

My pup was attacked and became dog aggressive afterwards. He was very fearful. My aim in training him is to make him, at the very least, neutral to dogs. He doesn't have to be their friends, just behave and let me handle it.
Dotbat215 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbat215 View Post
That's more or less what I mean....

My pup was attacked and became dog aggressive afterwards. He was very fearful. My aim in training him is to make him, at the very least, neutral to dogs. He doesn't have to be their friends, just behave and let me handle it.
Aww OK then ... thank you!

Teach your Dog to ignore other dogs. - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Ask Questions.
Chip18 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome