Going to try a bell! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Going to try a bell!

Hello All! I have mentioned this before, with mixed responses. I have been thinking of training my new dog (9 1/2 months old, not a shepherd) to ring a bell at the door when he needs to pee. Our house is very small, but the problem is, our dogs like to look out the door. I never know if they are just looking out the door, or if they need to go out to pee/poop. If I don't pick up on the cue, my pup will then pee somewhere in the house. They are taken out every two hours, but if they have to go in between times, I need to be alerted. I believe someone told me there are you tube videos on how to do it. Has anyone here actually done it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

Its pretty simple, but alot of dogs get wise and ring the bell just to go fart around out side. Mine did and I took the bell away. Hang the bell by the door, ring it every time you go out. After a few reps, they will get the idea.

If you are taking them out every 2 hours, there really shouldn't be issues with peeing inside. Even a 9 week puppy doesn't need to go out that frequently.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 05:58 PM

I'm intrigued by this method. Although I think my dogs would end up abusing the "power" to choose when they get to go out. What I like to do with a dog that is having issues with accidents is just to take them out at regular intervals and gradually increase the time between walks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I agree that he shouldn't have to pee more often than every two hours, especially since he holds it for 8 or 10 hours every night! Perhaps it is marking behavior? But not sure why. I also think that he may learn to abuse it when he just wants to go out to play!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

I've used one with good success with one dog. Either they like it and use it or they don't. You can figure out when the dog needs to go out and if they are just playing. If your dog isn't peeing, then only respond by putting him on the leash and watching until he goes, then praising.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

He'll be happy to have you as his servant
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 PM

I potty trained one puppy, my golden doodle, with the bell method. I found it to be quick and easy. He was trained by 10 weeks. He is now 6 years old and I really like that he rings the bell when he needs to go out rather than bark, or sit and stare at the door or me.

That being said, I have crate trained many puppies over the years and did not use the bell. In fact, I am house training an 11 week old german shepherd puppy now. He is crate trained and for the most part, house trained, but, am thinking of introducing the bell now to give him a more definitive way of telling me he needs to go out.

I can't really explain the difference, but, just something I sense in regard to my GSD puppy's temperament. Not sure the bell will work for him.

It's a pretty easy and straightforward method, though, so, give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

Congratulations on the new pup!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:55 PM

I've trained several dogs to ring a bell. I can't really say that they "abused" it because I can hardly remember why I trained it in the first place, lol. I don't think I cared why they wanted out.... I can also say that it didn't last long because as wolfy alluded to, I wasn't down with the servant arrangement.

there is no alerting for potty needs here - staring, barking, scratching, bells or anything else. when I'm sleep, busy or not home, they wait. at 9 months, I would have my dog checked medically for such frequent urinating. offering every 2 hours also never trains their bodies to hold it longer.

anyway.... all that aside, you asked for training tips! if you do any clicker or marker training, this will be a breeze. simply hang the bell on the door and whatever you need to do to draw your dogs attention to it, when he sniffs or nudges it, mark then feed. play that game awhile until the dog is offering the behavior... since you know the dog has not yet connected the bell to going potty (you've only taught him how to ring it) - put the bell out of reach and begin the routine of hanging the bell, dog nudges it, yay!, no food, just open the door and go out to potty... once that routine is established - leave the bell hanging and don't play any loud music I guess, lol.
maxtmill likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The fact that we take all the dogs out every two hours makes me wonder why he sometimes pees in between - he has had recent veterinary check, but not a urinalysis. The reason we take them out every two hours is because of our 16 year old pug, who can't hold it long at all!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 AM
Crowned Member

It's not that hard to teach. I still have them up and the beagle actually learned on his own how to ring them to go out. Its great for when there is an emergency, like they have explosive poop, vomit or just really have to go. Mine have used the bell for all of the above. I have no problem walking 5 ft and letting them out if they want to go out. I usually end up going out there with them and tossing a ball. They are on a pretty decent schedule/routine, but sometimes you gotta go when you gotta go

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page