• 4 Post By SuperG
  • 1 Post By LuvShepherds
  • 1 Post By Jenny720
  • 1 Post By LuvShepherds
  • 1 Post By Cassidy's Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

"Tricks", Obedience Ideas?

Ripley is just about five months and she is smart as a whip. I can't believe how quickly this dog picks up training concepts compared to the other breeds I've had.

She knows sit, down, come, follow, (short) stay, "leave it", walks reasonably well on leash, knows "bring" when she's retrieving and can bring me the ball wherever I go, and "drop".

Today we had a training session and other than "roll over" I totally blanked on other things I can teach her now that she's mastered so many things. Where I live it's currently over 110 degrees during the day so going outside for training to do more is not an option. It needs to be something we can work on in the living room. I typically train mid day when my kids are napping.

Ideas for tricks or other obedience we can work on at this age? I think scent stuff is really cool but I have no idea where to begin. However she is the first dog I've ever had where I can see her actively "sniffing" to find a ball in our large yard. So I know she has the nose for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Knighted Member

Me and my son like to play hide and seek with our dogs inside. Either he can hide and I'll say where's trystan, or he can hide a toy and I'll say where's the rope or whatever . I focus the most on recall with my dogs. We work on that daily. Also attention. When I say attention he immediately runs and sits in front of me looking for directions.
Ripley2016 likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:11 PM

My dog loves "find it". The kids love playing it too. She's so good that we shut her in the bathroom so there is no peeking! We hide a toy of hers somewhere in the house. When I open the door, we say " find it" and she does. She is fast and loves the game. We play soccer of sorts. Essentially she's the goalie and I have to get the ball by her. She always wins.. She loves "monkey in the middle" too. She's quite a competitor! Games like that. These aren't tricks but they do burn some energy in the nice cool air conditioning. Besides the monkey in the middle, I play all of these games on my own with her, too. I work in the obedience commands too and work on duration.

Edited to add that my dog loves, loves, loves playing hide and go seek with my kids inside and outside.
Ripley2016 likes this.

Last edited by Themusicmanswife; 07-29-2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: To add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 12:09 AM
Crowned Member

Train position changes at a distance....across the room...no creep. Train a tight backing up heel against a wall in your house to start. Train all kinds of close quarter obedience skills.....moving sideways in the heel position ...whether standing or sitting. Train a simple over an object....I used a golf club and continually raised the height. Train your dog to crawl on the ground. Train your dog to down halfway on its return to you.... There's a lot of training that can be done inside where there is limited space and no distractions..it's a great place to start..then you can take it all outside and go from there....still have to have a good reward...tug works in the house no problem.

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:57 AM
Crowned Member

You probably dont have room for agility equipment indoors but at that age, my dog loved racing through a tube, doing balance board exercises, and other agility type things. We were in a terrible puppy class but they had cool equipment and he loved that part.

I would start working on Perch End and Place.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ine-puppy.html
Ripley2016 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

One of my favorite YouTube videos. This video gave me some ideas on different tricks to do. There other YouTube videos that show you how to do a particular trick. Great to practice when weather is crappy in house.
http://youtu.be/OylP3SOmJlI
http://youtu.be/Glv84UFZToA
Ripley2016 likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 07-30-2016 at 09:25 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
You probably dont have room for agility equipment indoors but at that age, my dog loved racing through a tube, doing balance board exercises, and other agility type things. We were in a terrible puppy class but they had cool equipment and he loved that part.

I would start working on Perch End and Place.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ine-puppy.html
I do have a baby slide indoors that I've tried teaching her to go over, but luring isn't working and I'm not sure where to start for it? I also have a bunch of Play Hut kids tents that she could basically go through or eventually over... Any tips on where to get started?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:03 AM

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley2016 View Post
I do have a baby slide indoors that I've tried teaching her to go over, but luring isn't working and I'm not sure where to start for it? I also have a bunch of Play Hut kids tents that she could basically go through or eventually over... Any tips on where to get started?
What motivates her? Will she respond for a toy? The idea of a lure is to get them to move, and then praise when they do what you want. The treat does both, gets them to move and rewards at the end. You can also use very mild leash pressure to get her to start moving up the slide and then praise when she gets to the top. Pick a word that you can associate with movement, like Go! Use that to mean movement. Once she decides she likes running up and down a ramp, she will do it because she likes it.
Ripley2016 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:41 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Does she know the name of all her toys? You can teach her to go find a particular one and bring it to you.

Targeting is a great foundation skill that can be used in all sorts of ways. I start with a hand target - nose bump to my palm. I use the "touch" command for this, and start training it as soon as I bring home a new puppy. From there you can train her to target something on the floor (yogurt lids are good for this), or the end of a target stick. You can also train a foot target, although I never personally have.

Dog Obedience Training through Targeting | Whole Dog Journal
Ripley2016 likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page