"Leave it" and other crazy human things - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

"Leave it" and other crazy human things

My 9 week old is doing SO good with most things - potty training, sit, down, come, etc., but everything that I've always had an easy time with on previous dogs, this one just doesn't get.

"Leave it" is apparently the most complicated thing in the world. I have never had an issue teaching leave it - it's usually the first thing I am able to teach a puppy. This one thinks it's a fun game in which she must get the treat at all costs.

Also, she cannot leave her food or water bowls in place. She paws at them to tip them over, carries them across the house, and has a great time doing it. She will only eat her food off of the floor after it has scattered everywhere and she has played with it.

I swear she gets enough playtime and interaction and enough sleep. What have you guys done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 PM

Hi Katie,
Congrats on the new pup! I have an 11 week old GSD. (Our third GSD we've had and 2nd dog right now, we also have a miniature Goldendoodle). We have been use the neater feeder for the last 10 years or so. It keeps the bowls in place and really helps with all the extra water that gets splashed about when the dogs drink. You just have to keep up with emptying the bottom of it because it gets pretty nasty if you don't. I bought the neater feeder on Amazon, but, I've seen it sold elsewhere as well. Prices really vary, so, shop around if you get one.

As far as the struggle you are having with the 'leave it' command, I have not started to use leave it with treats yet. I'm only using it with things that he tries to grab that he shouldn't, e.g. curtains, our hands, shoes, etc. Maybe give it a few weeks until he has it down with other things before using with treats?

Have fun with your puppy!
Lorraine
Katie Chambers likes this.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 PM
Crowned Member

leave it is a bit much for a 9 week old puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, this is weird to hear. My trainer swears by teaching "leave it" first, and I did that with my last 3 puppies with ease. They were all labs, though, and it seems like this GSD is much more food motivated and intelligent (sorry labs ), so maybe we will wait a little while. I'd rather she keep her food drive and not learn leave it for a few weeks.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Ellie - GSD Service Dog in Training
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Banned

That's pretty interesting. I don't know any dog that can learn "leave it" at 9 weeks of age.

From what I understand, they should have not been away from their mother until a week ago (8 weeks) so, in one weeks time you have trained these dogs "leave it".?

How do they know that? What is it they are leaving? - because they are still getting to know everything in the world around them and hopefully this time is spent bonding and giving reassurance and rewards.??

Try the "leave it" command when they are potty trained, respond to treat training, have learned to walk on a leash and are old enough to have some clue about what "leave it" might mean...
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

Leave it is one of the first things I teach after sit. I've never had an issue, they get it pretty quick. I've never really had problems with them picking stuff up and eating it(especially rocks), I tell them to leave it and they do. I also teach drop it, that is in case they grab it before I see and leave it isn't for that, no problems with drop it either. How are you teaching it? I've seen a couple ways, but the way I do it is put dog in sit, have two treats in my hand, drop one and say leave it as I drop it, if the dog goes for it I put my foot ovef it and make a sound to get their attention(I never repeat the command of say the name--just a noise), as soon as they look at me I give the treat in my hand and pick up treat on the floor--they never get the treat that is on the floor.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 07-25-2016 at 08:26 PM.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Banned

Llombardo are you talking about training this at 9 weeks and being frustrated because they don't get it?

See OP.

Last edited by Stonevintage; 07-25-2016 at 08:31 PM.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Llombardo are you talking about training this at 9 weeks?
I start training with all mine the day after they come home. They all officially started school at about 12 weeks and they were way ahead of other dogs--all of them. So Robyn was about 13 weeks when she learned it, Tannor was about 9 weeks, Apollo was about 10 weeks(maybe 10.5 weeks-not sure how old he was when I found him) and Brennan was older--he couldn't sit still, he still can't...LOL, he was about 16 weeks or so when he finally got it. The rest were older when I got them, but they all know it. This actually allowed them more freedom and more fun time. All of them were able to be out of crates pretty young and they never destroyed anything really.

It's one of the easiest things to teach I think. You start with food and then extend it to pretty much everything else, even if they are looking at another dog--leave it means don't bother with it. It can be a life saving command if they pick stuff up and eat it, they can get in lots of trouble medically with that.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Chambers View Post
This one thinks it's a fun game in which she must get the treat at all costs.
I might be misunderstanding your process.......it sounds like you are using an item the pup should "leave" but ultimately gets.....????

Seems like you are training impulse control rather than leave it.

My version of training leave it.....never ever allowed the pup to have the item.....ever. The "treat" for leaving another object ( leave it ) created less confusion.

Think pup eating a dog crap/mushrooms....a snake etc........that's a leave it item....as in never.

SuperG
selzer likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I start training with all mine the day after they come home. They all officially started school at about 12 weeks and they were way ahead of other dogs--all of them. So Robyn was about 13 weeks when she learned it, Tannor was about 9 weeks, Apollo was about 10 weeks(maybe 10.5 weeks-not sure how old he was when I found him) and Brennan was older--he couldn't sit still, he still can't...LOL, he was about 16 weeks or so when he finally got it. The rest were older when I got them, but they all know it. This actually allowed them more freedom and more fun time. All of them were able to be out of crates pretty young and they never destroyed anything really.

It's one of the easiest things to teach I think. You start with food and then extend it to pretty much everything else, even if they are looking at another dog--leave it means don't bother with it. It can be a life saving command if they pick stuff up and eat it, they can get in lots of trouble medically with that.
The only part I was asking about is expections and frustration that a puppy does not learn at 9 WEEKS leave it....?? Your post sounds like that should be a piece of cake at that age??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page