Losing Hope Potty Training | Help Please - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Losing Hope Potty Training | Help Please

I've had about 6 dogs in my life and have trained them all within 4 weeks to be potty trained... but this puppy is different than any ive had and is getting worse by the week... She started out doing great first week I had her.. but she keep regressing when it comes to being crated.. it's to the point now where she don't even really attempt to hold it in her crate... she don't mind peeing in it and laying in it... she's usually good inside the house when im home but If im out of town on business for a day and she is there with my wife.. she will pee in the house without attempting to hold it and she will poop in the house and even eat the poop which she has NEVER done while I was home... My wife said if she isn't potty trained by 5 months old then she has to go (she is currently 12 weeks, and I understand why my wife is so annoyed because this is very different for us.. all our puppies in the past were trained by this time to go outside and hold it in the crate. simple)

This is very frustrating and I now find myself yelling at Nyla which is only making things worse... now she is scared to pee outside (which I don't understand considering I ALWAYS praise her when she goes outside and only yelled when she pees and lays in it in the kennel).... but now when ever she pees outside as soon as she squats she immediately lays down on the grass and just lay there instead of urinating (or maybe she is urinating but from a laying position while ducking her head like she think im going to yell)

I don't know what to do guys. I have a good 8 weeks to get her to stop submissive urinating... & peeing in the kennel and laying in it
(she does this every single time she is in the crate and its so much work to keep rinsing her off and cleaning the cage and tray and then the carpet and floors

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I personally think the cage might slightly be too big for her but my wife said it should be fine because none of our other puppies in the past urinated in the same size crate at the same age (and younger).. She thinks this puppy just don't care to be in her own urine because the breeder kept this litter outside

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Take her to the vet to check for UTIs. Also, 12 weeks is still young. Many pups are not solid in potty training at that age. Some take a bit more. I would imagine she will be fine by 5 months assuming no medical issues. But many puppies get UTIs. Check it out.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Take her to the vet to check for UTIs. Also, 12 weeks is still young. Many pups are not solid in potty training at that age. Some take a bit more. I would imagine she will be fine by 5 months assuming no medical issues. But many puppies get UTIs. Check it out.
I'll have her checked out.. her next appointment is coming up

also I don't expect her to be fully potty trained at 12 weeks of age.. just dont want her to keep urinating in her crate especially when I'm always taking her out.. I think video will due better than typing should I start recording what's going on? so you guys can tell me what I may be doing wrong or what she is doing

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:10 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Are you yelling at her AS she urinates in the crate? Or when you find it? It sounds like she now thinks urinating gets her in trouble.

Does your wife let her out? Does she tether her when she is out?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Maybe you should start over. Really clean the crate and make sure you use white vinegar or nature's miracle to make sure that there is no scent there. If you think the crate is too big, put a box in there to limit space. Go back to taking her outside every couple hours and right away when she wakes up from sleep. Play with her and reward for going. If she goes in the house, scoop her up and take her outside. Avoid yelling. Especially if she does have a UTI or something going on that would be wrong to punish her for what she has no control over. I still strongly suspect a UTI. How long is she crated for?

Maybe easier to explain your routine with her. What does the day look like?

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Are you yelling at her AS she urinates in the crate? Or when you find it? It sounds like she now thinks urinating gets her in trouble.
Both.. and yes I agree I can tell she now thinks urinating gets her in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Does your wife let her out? Does she tether her when she is out?
My wife said when she goes to take her out she starts before she can get her out so she just says forget it (my wife is not really a dog person so I already know when I leave its a set back.. I will take her out every 2 hrs my wife will wait a long time I already know)

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe you should start over. Really clean the crate and make sure you use white vinegar or nature's miracle to make sure that there is no scent there.

we've already gone thru a gallon of nature's miracle.. have to buy some more..

Quote:
If she goes in the house, scoop her up and take her outside. Avoid yelling.
any time I pick her up she will start peeing while in the air and it gets everywhere in the house... so I've been trying to avoid picking her up

Quote:
How long is she crated for?

Maybe easier to explain your routine with her. What does the day look like?

she use to be out all the time and only crated at night.. in the beginning when she was doing good.. but as she started submissive urinating more.... then we started crating more... which only made things worse

as far as the day... I don't really have a strict schedule anymore like I did when I first got her... I just take her out every 3hrs now instead of 2 because I read somewhere a dog can hold it for the amount of hrs of their age (2 months/2hrs 3months/3hrs etc.)

Ill wake up around 9am while I'm laying in bed I can hear her barking in the crate... so im thinking... great she peed in the crate again and now she's laying in it.. I might as well just lay here another hr before dealing with this

9:45ish ill get up.. take her out hose her down with water dry her off.. clean the tray, clean the cage clean the carpet which at this point as urine from her splashing it around in the crate.. feed her... then either put her back in the kennel and take her out 2 hrs later (i use to leave her out but now I have her in the kennel more to try to reduce the urine in the house) and I repeat that process til around 5.. then ill take her for a walk and let the kids play with her... feed her for the last time around 6... and take her for another walk around 10pm.. so aside from the walk at 5 ...when she play with the kids and walk/run at 10.. she is pretty much kept in the crate

I think I'm going to go back to leaving her out because she was doing better then.. and I have to motivate myself to get back to my original schedule.. I use to take her for walks 3x a day and leave her out she did better then

Nyla {GSD 4/14/16}
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

Is this poor puppy submissively peeing because she is getting yelled at for peeing? Am I understanding that correctly? Wife gives up while puppy peeing on the floor? Mixed messages everywhere and obviously this pup is upset by the yelling, didn't understand at all because now cowering while peeing outside.

Wife wants no part in it. Maybe you should just rehome it now, wife has already given you an ultimatum? Puppy needs patience, kindness and consistency.

If you let her out loose I think it is a prime candidate for hiding and peeing somewhere in the house, keep it on a leash
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

I put an old shower curtain and a towel under my puppy's crate. Never needed it. But it would help with carpet situation.
islanddog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page