Help!! House/Crate Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Help!! House/Crate Training

So my new puppy Finnick will be 14 weeks this Thursday, we've had him since he was 7 weeks.... So I'm in a different situation than I was with my older girl. I never had to crate train her when i got her as a puppy she was already crate trained and I didn't work during the day so house breaking went by faster and easier.
So fast forward to Finn... My boyfriend and I both leave for work around 6-6:15am and I get home around 4ish..
As far as house breaking when we're home he does fine does his business outside, he holds it while in his crate for a couple hours. usually don't leave him in it longer than 2 hours during the weekend days and during the week I only put him up when I can't keep an eye on him. BUT at night he seems to have problems he gets put up at 9:30-10pm and he finishes dinner by 5. He goes out plenty of times before bedtime but he cant last the whole night when we get up at 5:30am. So we've tried getting up to take him out at like 2am but when we do that he wont go back to sleep and will start to cry and bark when he goes back in the crate. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Other question... since we are gone during the work day and work to far away to take him out at lunch we've puppy proofed the bathroom to leave him there so he has room to use the bathroom (purpose was so he knows to not go in his crate and to keep his den area clean.. but thats still a work in progress) but when hes in there he tends to eat his feces... which he doesnt do at all when we're outside, he doesn't even try to. Only in the bathroom. should I move him back to the crate? or continue leaving him in the bathroom. It's what the breeder had recommended we try but I haven't really seen much progress
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

It may help if you can give your puppy a good walk and playtime right before bed so he gets tired out and emptied out I wouldn't get up purposely during the night but let him wake you up instead. Hopefully as he gets older he won't need that. For the daytime, I would follow the breeder's advice about using the bathroom. I would use pee pads. Pet stores and online sites have something that you can add to his food that makes his feces taste bad to him. Also be sure to have toys, a puppy kong with treats, so he has things to do. Have his crate with the door open in one corner so he can go in there and nap, have food and water in another, and the pee pads in another. If possible have someone come in at noon or earlier to take him out and walk him and play with him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Hmm ok.. I did a lot more excersize with him tonight so hopefully he sleeps/makes it through the night. The only problem is he won't wake us when he needs to go out. I end up waking up myself because I can smell it when he has an accident. But hopefully tonight. We've had a few successful nights just need it to be more consistent. We had been using the pee pads but gave up because he will literally shred them... And eat bits of the paper in them. I leave toys for him we have a Kong and other non shreddible toys for him but the pee pad he couldn't resist tearing apart. I read about that I'll have to look into it so maybe it'll help him stop eating his own poo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page