Training corrections, etc. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Casto

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Training corrections, etc.

So, my dog is 3 months old now and we've worked on all the basics and still having some issues but for the most part, he's picked up well and is doing good. We're taking some obedience classes and they have really helped both of us. I've got a couple of concerns I'd like some advice/help with.

I'm confused on what to do when I give a command and he doesn't perform. At what point is the wait over and when do you give the command again without it being repeating the command? For example sometimes I tell him to sit and he will just look at me. Typically he will sit within about 3 seconds, sometimes nothing. What's my correct path forward when he does nothing?

I hear and read a lot about corrections but I'm really clueless on them. When he is doing, or I notice he is about to do something I do not approve of I give him a 'No.' I don't feel that is a proper correction for not performing a command.

I understand sometimes he is wired up and it's just not a good time for training or sometimes there are distractions that make training more difficult as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

At 3 months? No corrections. Up your reward to put higher value on the command. Engage your puppy so he wants to work with you. Work within his threshhold and build in distractions.

And remember....dogs don't generalize. So Sit at home does not mean Sit at PetSmart until you teach it. They say 20 different places, 20 different times. So enjoy your puppy and continue to have FUN teaching him what you want.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
At 3 months? No corrections. Up your reward to put higher value on the command. Engage your puppy so he wants to work with you. Work within his threshhold and build in distractions.

And remember....dogs don't generalize. So Sit at home does not mean Sit at PetSmart until you teach it. They say 20 different places, 20 different times. So enjoy your puppy and continue to have FUN teaching him what you want.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:22 PM

I have a 4 month old boy so I know your struggles. lol

I train differently than most though as in not using treats (it's cool if you and whomever does) i just prefer not to.

I always have a drop/drag leash on Jupiter for the moments when he doesn't listen. This is what i think you mean by "corrections" If he doesnt do as I ask, such as sit, i will pick up the leash and use it to get him position he needs to be in. Not scold or hit him. lol A lot easier and safer than grabbing the collar or whatever else to get him to conform. No tugging, yanking, or anything physical to get him to respond. It's just a tool to help you make YOUR corrections (in whatever form, even if its just getting him to position right) faster with better timing. Which is very important.

I would say only give your command once though. Then react if he doesn't respond. If you continue to repeat your command he will eventually think he can wait until the 2nd or 3rd time to do what you ask. Just food for thought and remember im not an expert just giving my 2 cents. I've had some people not like my no treats policy but i bet they would LOVE my dogs. haha good luck with your puppy!
carlock likes this.

Jupiter Rising!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page