What's your advice for training in the park? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Dainerra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

What's your advice for training in the park?

After months of searching, I have found the perfect training club. However, we are currently waiting to find out if he will be able to get in a class. In the mean time I have been working with Baron on all basic commands. He's done pretty well but what I have found to be an issue is his attention while being in social situations. He does great at home when it is just us and even when we have company. It's when we are outside of home and around other people/dogs that I cannot seem to break his attention. There is a park at an elementary school that is very large that I have thought about taking him to to train him while he has so much stimuli so he could adjust to listening to commands with others around. My plan is to take him for walks there to let him adjust to the new place and then train him. So, what are your opinions/advice. He will stay on-leash the entire time, city rule.

On a side note- we chose the training club because they offer classes for: Obedience (for all stages), Rally, Freestyle (we have no interest in), Agility, Canine Good Citizen, Conformation, and Performance for Obedience and Agility. Plus the fact that it would get him socialized and is an excellent bonding opportunities for us. I'm so excited and cannot wait to start!

"A house is not a home without a dog."

Baron - Male GSD - 1/01/16
Skyler - Male Siberian Husky - 4/23/10
Obi - Male Shetland Sheepdog - 10/11/02 to 06/15/15
Brodi - Male Shetland Sheepdog - 4/11/09 to 6/24/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

it's a normal step. you start out working in low distraction and then over time gradually increase. Start going to a public place when it will be empty and work. Then, over time you add in more distractions.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
it's a normal step. you start out working in low distraction and then over time gradually increase. Start going to a public place when it will be empty and work. Then, over time you add in more distractions.
Thank you! I will definitely do that!

"A house is not a home without a dog."

Baron - Male GSD - 1/01/16
Skyler - Male Siberian Husky - 4/23/10
Obi - Male Shetland Sheepdog - 10/11/02 to 06/15/15
Brodi - Male Shetland Sheepdog - 4/11/09 to 6/24/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page