Puppy Culture by Jane Killion - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Question Puppy Culture by Jane Killion

As we wait our final week for our puppy (yay!), I've been perusing puppy training resources, and I came across this video series called Puppy Culture. It seems to have kind of a cult following, and I was wondering if any puppy owners had any experience with it.

I'm really looking for resources on how to get my pup used to things/socialized while he's still limited in where he can go by his vaccinations, and apparently a couple of the videos address this.

It's a little expensive (though not in the grand scheme of things) when there's so many free resources via Youtube, etc., and the money could also go towards an in person trainer, so I'm trying to figure out if it really is as incredible as people seem to think it is/whether it's worth investing in.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:49 AM

which ever trainer that you find that works for you, try to stay consistent. One of our trainers pet peeve is when people go to You Tube and try new stuff without talking to him first. It is not like he knows everything and is certainly willing to learn new stuff, but it is better if everyone is "on the same sheet of music".

As far as Puppy Culture goes, I've not looked into her. I may go see what she has to say just out of curiosity. Glad you brought it up.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Crowned Member

Socializing is not what people think it is. Socializing is simply letting your puppy observe the world. It's not letting every person pet him. Or meeting every dog.

It's this...

Monique has a perfect description and list of things to do. Make your own up based on your environment.

Puppy Socialization - what it really should be | Naughty Dogge - Monique Anstee
Dainerra, Chip18 and dogma13 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Socializing is not what people think it is. Socializing is simply letting your puppy observe the world. It's not letting every person pet him. Or meeting every dog.

It's this...

Monique has a perfect description and list of things to do. Make your own up based on your environment.

Puppy Socialization - what it really should be | Naughty Dogge - Monique Anstee
Thanks for posting that, it's a really useful link.

I think that it's very similar to what the Puppy Culture movies are about - not so much about meeting other people/dogs, but introducing your puppy to new experiences and instilling confidence and trust in the owner even when facing a new (and possibly scary) situation, and especially how to go about this when you're limited in where you can take him because of vaccinations. At least that seems to be what it's about from what I've read and watching the intro video. I was hoping maybe someone had watched and could confirm/say whether it's actually useful in that regard.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 02:50 PM

that is a very good blog post Jax. thanks for sharing the ilnk

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
which ever trainer that you find that works for you, try to stay consistent. One of our trainers pet peeve is when people go to You Tube and try new stuff without talking to him first. It is not like he knows everything and is certainly willing to learn new stuff, but it is better if everyone is "on the same sheet of music".

As far as Puppy Culture goes, I've not looked into her. I may go see what she has to say just out of curiosity. Glad you brought it up.
Yes! I was bored when we were stick in the house and tried too many things. Some worked, some didn't, and my dog ended up confused.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:19 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post

Yes! I was bored when we were stuck in the house when my puppy was young and tried too many things. Some worked, some didn't, and my dog ended up confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page