New puppy and the cats - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

New puppy and the cats

I'm just wondering what to do and how to go about dealing with the puppy and the cats. I have 2 cats and now 2 dogs. My lab mix loves the cats and my German Shepherd Puppy (almost 10 weeks old) seems to want to play with them. The cats are very used to dogs. What ends up happening is the cats will walk by and she will run over to them and start biting their necks. (it all really just seems playful) I normally let them go because she is only trying to play the cats normally lay their and take it but sometimes will sit up and slap at her a little (with out using claws) and then she will lay down and bark at them. What I have been trying to do is call her to me and have her sit and she gets a treat. Then do a 3-5 min training session. Is this a good idea? My BF thinks I'm rewarding her for being mean to the cats but I'm rewarding her for sitting. Does she understand that? The cats do have their own room that they can get way from her and it has everything they need food,water, toys and litter box. Am I doing things right or what else should I try? Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

When I adopted a kitten, that first day, my husky kept trying to chase her. Suddenly before I could stop the dog, the kitten stopped, turned and scratched my husky's nose. End of games and that afternoon they were both curled up on the rug taking a nap together. Looking back, it was fortunate that it worked out. But if you are concerned, like I was when Sting was a puppy and I had a senior cat who was good with dogs but very gentle so I was afraid she would get hurt. So I kept Sting on a leash inside the house and would immediately stop any chasing and redirect him with his toy and praising him for taking the toy and biting it. So if you decide to redirect, I would suggest right at the beginning when she is starting not after she has made contact with the cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:09 PM

My GSD Jupiter and Calico Cat Cosmo kennel up together... on command. It's a sight. All night long too. Crazy. I've never had any cat/dog pet issues but these 2 are best friends. It started out pawing and mouth play. Never a hard scratch from the kitten but she stands her ground. They are 2 weeks apart so it prolly helps the bond.

Jupiter Rising!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Master Member

I would not be allowing any sort of kitty biting at this stage. All it will take is one good bite and shake once your puppy in larger, and they grow very fast, and a cat could be killed or badly injured. The training is a good idea, but I'd start before she goes after a cat not after. Work on rewarding her for ignoring a cat when it comes into the room vs allowing her to bite and bark until you call her away. You could be setting up a behavior chain of in order to be good and get attention she has to do something bad. Same concept as a dog that jumps on people, gets told to sit, then gets rewarded. Don't allow any unsupervised interaction with the cats until she has learned to interact appropriately, if she starts biting or barking removed her from the room or pop her into a crate or ex-pen for a few minutes so that she learns that behavior will not be allowed.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysms View Post
she will run over to them and start biting their necks. (it all really just seems playful)
Right there ... is your problem. There is only rule in Cat v Dog relationships ... The Dog/Puppy Never Chases The Cat! There are lots of ways to get there. But it's a "puppy" so the easiest way to train "The Place Command." Indoors the puppy goes to "Place" the cats are free to engage if they chose to do so ... the puppy is free to move in "Place" but he is not free to leave it!

Keep a "drag leash" on the puppy indoors a short leash with no handle to get caught up on furniture. You use that to "guide" the puppy back to "Place" as required.

"The Place Command" and other stuff are in this thread:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...61-post12.html

And I am not an expert ... but I have lived with up to five dogs and 18 cats for over 15 years and in all that time ... I have "NEVER" had a single Cat v Dog, "situation." The "Cats" are "Pack Members" and they are to be "Respected!" My dogs also "never" place a tooth on my ctas either ... so I'd put a stop to that crap also but ... "Place" is the first step.

Get a handle on this now ... and you won't have "issues" down the line. As always ask questions and Welcome aboard.

Oh other Cat v Dog, stuff :
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7410522-post2.html

Last edited by Chip18; 07-05-2016 at 03:23 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Right there ... is your problem. There is only rule in Cat v Dog relationships.[[/COLOR]There are lots of ways to get there. But it's a "puppy" so the easiest way to train "The Place Command." Indoors the puppy goes to "Place" the cats are free to engage if they chose to do so ... the puppy is free to move in "Place" but he is not free to leave it!

Keep a "drag leash" on the puppy indoors a short leash with no handle to get caught up on furniture. You use that to "guide" the puppy back to "Place" as required.

ANd I am not an expert ... but I have lived with up to five dogs and 18 cats for over 15 years and in all that time ... I have "NEVER" had a single Cat v Dog, "situation" the "Cats" are "Pack Members" and they are to be "Respected!"

Get a handle on this now ... and you won't have "issues" down the line. As always ask questions and Welcome aboard.

People need to use and understand the conept of a drag leash.... I see you always promoting it and you can see my dog with a drag leash in EVERY photo ive ever posted of him... lol He is going on 18 weeks.

Jupiter Rising!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casto View Post
People need to use and understand the concept of a drag leash.... I see you always promoting it and you can see my dog with a drag leash in EVERY photo i've ever posted of him... lol He is going on 18 weeks.
Aw so your gonna make me "search" and look??

But yes ... hard lesson learned! Drag leash, Place and No Free Roaming especially, in multi dog households!!

Those "policies" keep crap from happening ... hard lessons learned after the fact! My guy was 116 lbs of OS Wl GSD before he started acting a fool. Free Roaming, No Place, No Drag leash, No Crate and Dominate Male dog One and Dominate Male Dog Two = Stitches for me ... breaking up Dog Fights!!

It's a lot easier to get it "right" from the start! Heck I actually ... DE-Crate, my OS WL GSD!

I'd never used one in the past ...why should I use one now ... now I "know!"

"School of hard knocks" ... worked out fine for me in any case but I'd just as soon others not have to attend!

In anycase ... you should post clips of your Dog/Puppy, I think "newbies" with "puppies" tend to think ... well my "puppy" is not so bad ... so little value to posting what I'm doing??

But we have a new member on Boxerforum and he's been doing just that! He really screwed with peoples head here:

PLEASE HELP! Dog behaving abnormally. - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

He "almost" had me fooled but I was like "wait what??" Boxer people
... tend to be as nutty as our dogs!

But back on pointe ... little bit baby Boxer Puppy and this is what he shows ...

I "missed" my opportunity "to show my work" with my H/A OS Wl GSD.

I figured "no big deal" "everybody knows/does this??" Apparently ... not so much?? But there are lessons to be learned by members "getting it right" from the beginning!

So don't "under value" what your doing. And welcome aboard .. in case I have not said it already??
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Right there ... is your problem. There is only rule in Cat v Dog relationships ... The Dog/Puppy Never Chases The Cat! There are lots of ways to get there. But it's a "puppy" so the easiest way to train "The Place Command." Indoors the puppy goes to "Place" the cats are free to engage if they chose to do so ... the puppy is free to move in "Place" but he is not free to leave it!

And I am not an expert ... but I have lived with up to five dogs and 18 cats for over 15 years and in all that time ... I have "NEVER" had a single Cat v Dog, "situation." The "Cats" are "Pack Members" and they are to be "Respected!" My dogs also "never" place a tooth on my ctas either ... so I'd put a stop to that crap also but ... "Place" is the first step.

How long does it take a puppy to learn place and to hold it for any significant amount of time, and then proof it around a playful kitten?

What do you do with the kitten and puppy in the meantime before a reliable, bullet proof place is mastered?

What do you do with the puppy and kitten when the puppy is not in a place command or does the puppy stay there indefinitely?
islanddog likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Aw so your gonna make me "search" and look??

But yes ... hard lesson learned! Drag leash, Place and No Free Roaming especially, in multi dog households!!

Those "policies" keep crap from happening ... hard lessons learned after the fact! My guy was 116 lbs of OS Wl GSD before he started acting a fool. Free Roaming, No Place, No Drag leash, No Crate and Dominate Male dog One and Dominate Male Dog Two = Stitches for me ... breaking up Dog Fights!!

It's a lot easier to get it "right" from the start! Heck I actually ... DE-Crate, my OS WL GSD!

I'd never used one in the past ...why should I use one now ... now I "know!"

"School of hard knocks" ... worked out fine for me in any case but I'd just as soon others not have to attend!

In anycase ... you should post clips of your Dog/Puppy, I think "newbies" with "puppies" tend to think ... well my "puppy" is not so bad ... so little value to posting what I'm doing??

But we have a new member on Boxerforum and he's been doing just that! He really screwed with peoples head here:

PLEASE HELP! Dog behaving abnormally. - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

He "almost" had me fooled but I was like "wait what??" Boxer people
... tend to be as nutty as our dogs!

But back on pointe ... little bit baby Boxer Puppy and this is what he shows ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtaYQ1ZE1Go

I "missed" my opportunity "to show my work" with my H/A OS Wl GSD.

I figured "no big deal" "everybody knows/does this??" Apparently ... not so much?? But there are lessons to be learned by members "getting it right" from the beginning!

So don't "under value" what your doing. And welcome aboard .. in case I have not said it already??

Thank you!!!! I have a lot to learn but this forum is worth is weight for sure... and here are some photos ranging from both ears down to yesterday.

edit: it put the oldest photo last and as you can see his drag leash is everywhere he goes!!!! It's the quickest difference for a good pup, i think.

Jupiter Rising!

Last edited by Casto; 10-24-2016 at 01:57 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
How long does it take a puppy to learn place and to hold it for any significant amount of time, and then proof it around a playful kitten?
Well for "me" ... "Place" means ...you stay "here" and you "Don't freaking move until" ... I say so ..."Period" end of story!

I used place for my H/A GSD and had he moved ...he'd have had to get past "me" first before he got to company! And had he done that ..even once ... then well he does not understand what "Place" means well enough! So we'd have a "conversation" until he does!

"We" never needed to have that "discussion" my dog makes "Good Choices."

An "effective" trainer will tell people with Cat/Dog issues to train "Place" and call it a day. Cats, Dogs, Fireworks, Squirrels, People etc if your dogs stays in "Place" none of that "crap" makes a difference! If people can't do that because they can't train "Place" ... then get an E-Collar and go for "behaviour modification" and "Avoidance" or do the whole "Crittering" thing?? But this is a "puppy" so all of that is a bit of overkill! The "Place Command" is not.

I did look once at Victoria Stillwells site ... just for giggles to see what she advised as regards Cat V Dog. Her advise ... "consult a "Trainer!" "My advice" train "Place" and call it day.

As for me "personally" well yeah, that'd be like people watching "Cesar" to learn how to walk a Dog. Most of my personal dogs I got as puppies and none of my numerous cat's had "Escape Routes." They had "nothing" to escape from. My puppies "never" chased my Cats from day one! Rocky (my problem child) was the biggest "puppy" I ever brought in, 7 months and 57 pounds, rescue/failed foster (by me). I do remember him looking at one of the cats ... once and maybe thinking things over??? He made a "good choice" I'll stay where I am, never had an "issue" with him in regards to cats.

Beyond that "me" cats and dogs ... it's pretty transparent, there is "simply" "No Issues." Not much learned to share there from my first experiance ... sorry ... but the "Pro's" say ... train "Place Command" and call it a day.

Quote:
What do you do with the kitten and puppy in the meantime before a reliable, bulletproof place is mastered?
I trust that "most" people can chew gum and walk at the same time?? Train the "Place Command" and if your dealing with a "Puppy"... you keep the puppy from "Chasing" the freaking the Cat, in the meantime! It's a "puppy" put a "Drag leash" on him and guide him back to "Place." If the "puppy" does not actually "chase" the cats ... then there is "no problem." If he does ... then he needs to stop! I'd used a "verbal" maker "NO!" If that does not work a "Puppy Bunker" a single rolled up sock ... throw it at the "puppy" and hit them and say "NO!" And realize that "this" particular "puppy" is not a candidate to be "allowed" to roam free so ... "Place" it is!

My puppies, indoors were "always" eyes on ... no "Place Command" needed but what they "did not do" was "chase the cats!" And judging from our newest member on "BoxerForum, Smokieandthebandit" ... it takes one week to properly "train" a puppy the "Place Command" if a "Boxer" can figure it out in a week, then for a GSD puppy with a "competent" owner ... I'd say training "Place" is no big deal???

Quote:
What do you do with the puppy and kitten when the puppy is not in a place command or does the puppy stay there indefinitely?
People need to use a little common sense, it's a "puppy" so it should not be allowed to be unsupervised in anycase?? Use an X Pen, if you can't have eyes on. Keep a drag leash on the "puppy" as required and eyes on the puppy, if he is free roaming in the living room.

If people are struggling with a "puppy" chasing cats ... the time to get there act together is "now." They are raising a "Dog" and if he won't listen "now" with "distractions" ... he is less inclined to do so at 75 lbs or more.

The time to get it "right" ... is "now."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page