potty training using a bell - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

potty training using a bell

Hello! Has anyone trained their dog to ring a bell to go out? I have a new 8 month old pup (not a GSD), and am interested in trying this. How is it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 04:07 AM

There are plenty of videos on YouTube instructing on the process but it essentially breaks down to

Teaching your dog the touch command prior is very helpful.

Have the dog touch the bell to create a ring, reward it immediately with a treat/praise. Continue to do this until the dog has mastered the touch command.

Hang/place the bell near the exit to the desired potty area and have the dog sit and ring the bell in order to have them go out. It's incredibly important to do this very frequently throughout the day, so that you're not creating situations where the dog is two seconds away from urinating and isn't interested in being trained.

Create situations where the dog needs to ring the bell to go out. Such as, ringing the bell so that they can get out and eat, be petted by you, play with other animals etc. It's paramount the during the initial stages, every ring leads to them being let out.

Eventually the dog will link the bell to getting to go out. If you're using the bell to let them out to potty, I would recommend that you don't let the frequency of letting them out fade. The only thing I'd add is that you letting them out has to be as immediate as possible. What I've seen as erroneous in some of the dog training videos is that they reward the dogs after they come back from pottying, when they should be rewarding them immediately after the bell ring. Otherwise, you could be potentially reinforcing the wrong behavior. Such as coming near you after pottying etc rather than the targeted behavior.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
Hello! Has anyone trained their dog to ring a bell to go out? I have a new 8 month old pup (not a GSD), and am interested in trying this. How is it done?
Oddly I did not train Joey to use the bells and neither did his owner. When he needs to go he either comes up to you and if you ask if he needs to go he will do a full body shake, if he doesn't do the shake, he doesn't have to go. But if you are not awake etc, he will go stand by the door and shove his nose into the bells which were placed and left there for the purpose of knowing when the door was opened haha but he used them to let us know instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

I taught my youngest golden how to use the bell. When he was by the door I would take his paw and touch the bells, praise and reward. He got it fairly quickly. I left them up(they are still up) and Apollo used them on his own. They are generally now used in case of emergency--ie I gotta go now and you aren't noticing.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

I just took my dog to the chimes, and hit them with his nose. He got the idea very quickly. Now, he rings to go out but also if he's bored, so we are working on that. I would rather have a false run outside than an accident in the house.
Jupiter_0203 likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
I've never really understood why? Maybe I'm just a control freak, but isn't more convenient to have them go when you tell them to? After the work of potty training them, teaching them to go out when and where you want them to and you have a dog that can hold it for hours with no problem at 8mos, wouldn't you rather decide "I want you finished by 8" rather then "Let me know, even if its 10" If mine starts ringing a bell at midnight, I don't generally wake up happy.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I've never really understood why? Maybe I'm just a control freak, but isn't more convenient to have them go when you tell them to? After the work of potty training them, teaching them to go out when and where you want them to and you have a dog that can hold it for hours with no problem at 8mos, wouldn't you rather decide "I want you finished by 8" rather then "Let me know, even if its 10" If mine starts ringing a bell at midnight, I don't generally wake up happy.
Hmmmm...I never thought of it that way!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Mine aren't near a bell at midnight,
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:56 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

potty training using a bell

We first taught Cassidy to ring bells on the doorknob when she needed to go outside. She was an adult and completely housebroken by then. The problem was that if she had to go she would wait politely at the door until someone noticed her there.

If i was at work and Tom was working in his home office, or if i was in the kitchen making dinner and he was in the office playing computer games, or we were both in the living room watching TV, we couldn't see that door and had no way of knowing how long she'd been waiting. Sometimes we'd realize she wasn't in the room with us and go looking for her and there she'd be. She wouldn't bark or scratch at the door, she'd just sit and wait.

If we took too long she'd finally come sit right in front of the TV, lol. HELLO, I've been waiting! I'm good about letting the dogs out, but Tom tends to be pretty oblivious, especially if he's focused on something else *cough* one track mind *cough*.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Tom tends to be pretty oblivious, especially if he's focused on something else *cough* one track mind *cough*.
Maybe its a guy thing? Maybe I'm just clinging to my right to obliviscuity? Obliviousness? Or maybe the Raider game's on. I don't know. Go when I tell you, and we'll get along better. Lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page