New 6 weeks old puppy! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

New 6 weeks old puppy!

Hi! I just acquired a 6 week old puppy this weekend. I took him to the vet Monday and asked around some dog trainers and found out that I wasn't supposed to take him home until 8 weeks I was pretty gutted because I HATE the idea of separating a puppy too young from his mother, but I didn't know anything about dogs and I trusted the guy that gave him to me.

Anyway since this weekend I have been reading information on this forum, which has been really really helpful!

I found the dog star daily website as well from one of the members here, and I have been trying to follow the house training guidelines very strictly.

But, as far as his bathroom habits I'm having a hard time getting him to have no accidents. I take him outside every 45 minutes to an hour, and immediately after I get him back inside he pees again. Is that just because he is so little?

Also, as far as confining him for long periods of time- I currently work during the day, so he is confined to the bathroom with toys, bed, puppy pad, and water. I come home at lunch to feed him, take him outside and play with him for a bit. Is it okay to leave him alone confined at this age? I mean, I guess I don't have a choice, but my heart breaks knowing he has been taken away from his mom so soon and I am leaving him alone

And another concern- feeding him. The vet said to feed him 1/3 of a cup 3 times a day. I feel like that's not enough. After his second meal today he didn't poop, and then after his third meal he pooped a tiny amount compared to other poops he's had. I fed him an additional 1/3 of a cup and he gobbled it right up at dinner. I want to follow the vet's instructions but I also don't want him to starve either. He is 14 pounds right now.

Any suggestions and help would be really appreciated, as I'm sure you can tell I'm a very anxious first parent. I will post a picture of Bernie as well.

Last edited by Mariya; 06-14-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of Bernie. I absolutely love this little guy, just the thought of him makes my heart dance inside!!
Attached Images

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Crowned Member

He's young, but it is not impossible. You might run into some small issues.

Potty training, yes, he may not be able to manage 4 hours at this point without pottying, and potty pads might be ingested. I would use newspapers or even wood hips. Instead of blocking the pup in a bathroom, can you put up a kennel for the pup in a garage or basement?

Yes, the puppy won't like being all alone at all. He is used to being with his mother and littermates 24/7. But he will be ok. Might be nice to leave a radio on in the area where he can't get to it.

As for feeding, does the vet know what you are feeding? All foods have different calories, and 1 cup of food/day for growth might not be enough. I would feed a 6 week old pup that is not in with its dam 4 times a day. And, if it is licking the dish and looking for more, beyond 1/4-1/3 cup per feeding, I would give more. Check the back of the dog food bag. Usually, they are a little more generous than necessary.

If the pup's stool goes from solid lumps to solid mush, then you are probably giving a little too much, scale back.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Crowned Member

I took my new puppy out 3-4 times a hour after he ate, and then twice an hour in between. He still had accidents. During the night, I took him out about 3 times during the night, at bed time, around 1-2, then again around 5 am.

Selzer, I didn't know that too much food can cause mushy poo.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I got him a large kennel but...he cries like crazy in there. He is a lot more quiet in the bathroom ... I figured I would ease him gently into using the kennel by feeding him in there and putting him in there for very short amounts of time ..the night before he was in the kennel and he barked from 10 pm till 2 am straight and my husband couldn't take it and let him out...so I slept with him, but I told hubby it won't happen again because I'd rather hear him bark and eventually settle down than wonder if he's losing his voice all day while I'm gone.. And I'm glad I was on the right track by feeding him after seeing he was still hungry!! Yay
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs sleep in my room and they don't cry at night.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
My dogs sleep in my room and they don't cry at night.
They sleep with you and they are not confined? Should I just puppy proof my bedroom and let him do that?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

I have a crate for each dog. The puppy is within touching distance. It's crowded but workable.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

I am not talking about a crate. I am talking about a kennel. 10'x 5' the dog can have water in there, and food, and toys, and you can use wood chips in there for now. After a week or so, you can put a small kid's swimming pool in there and put the wood chips only in there.

The pup should be more comfortable in a larger area. A kennel can be made totally safe for the puppy. A bathroom, well a bored lonely pup will chew woodwork, linoleum, anything he can reach, anything not strong ceramic or metal.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 PM
Crowned Member

My puppy ate and swallowed wood chips if I let him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page