Puppy still crying in crate ... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Puppy still crying in crate ...

I've had my pup for almost 2 weeks now (10 1/2 weeks old). I've done as much research as I can about making the crate a positive event every time she goes into the crate. I always fill her kong ball, give her treats, tell her good girl etc yet she still cries for hours in her crate. Sometimes she does pass out a little faster than normal (30 min-1hr) of crying then she'll stop.

Should I just give up on crate training? I keep the crate in my room and the only time she is alone in the crate is when I head to work. Otherwise I'm at my desk next to the crate. I usually put her in there 30 minutes before I leave for work so she doesn't associate the crate with being left alone.

She's been very good with relieving herself outside. She won't even use the restroom in my bedroom or at least hasn't yet. Should I just let her free roam my bedroom while i'm at work?

Any advice is appreciated. Just trying to do the right thing for my pup to make our lives easier. I'm sure once she gets a little older the crying will fade out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 PM

Are you giving her plenty of exercise? I know with my pup, his crying was definitely linked to having excess energy. We even created a "go to your room command" so that he knew that going to his crate instantly linked him with a treat. I'm sure time will calm everything down, but you can create scenarios where the pup is too tired to cry by the time the crate is being utilized.

I definitely wouldn't let her free roam. The second they have the room, she'll be much more likely to pick a distant corner, rather than holding it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page