Help With Barking At Other Dogs & Occasionally People - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Help With Barking At Other Dogs & Occasionally People

Two weeks ago I got my first dog. She's a German shepherd puppy who I renamed Henna who I bought from a man who didn't have enough time for her. She just turned 5 months old last week and she is an amazing puppy. I've been working with her everyday and she's been making amazing progress.

About a week ago we went to the park for a walk. There was a man there with his two dogs, a large lab mix and a large chocolate lab who were off leash. I made the foolish assumption that because they were off leash he had complete control of them and decided to get out of the car so we could begin our walk.

I led her in the opposite direction but she spotted the two dogs and barked. It wasn't an aggressive bark more of a hey look at me bark. She started pulling me towards them so I tried to correct her and lead her away. Before I could do so the dogs bombarded her and both started sniffing her simultaneously, she was obviously overwhelmed and became defensive. They got into a bit of a scuffle and there I was trying to shield my dog from these two large dogs and trying to get her away from them. The owner comes waddling over making no effort whatsoever to recall his dogs and pulls them away without a word to me. Luckily neither I nor my girl were hurt but the whole situation put us both on edge. I was too shook up to yell at the man but instantly regretted not doing so afterwards.

Since the incident Henna was introduced to a male dog who she got along well with. He was a bit put off by her rambunctiousness but they lived together in a house for four days in peace (with a few corrections from him of course). However she still barks at other dogs while on leash, and pulls and jumps towards them. It seems to be excitement as opposed to aggression and I've been working to correct this with the leave it command. She caught on very quickly to this command for ignoring wild animals but had not yet mastered it with other dogs or people. She's very friendly with people and loves to be pet and given attention. She's even able to handle attention from multiple people while remaining calm and well behaved. However she will occasionally bark at people for reason I'm unsure of. Again not an aggressive bark, more of a look at me bark. She's done it twice so far, once to a family setting up a picnic at the beach and another time to a couple at rest stop on our 4 hour car ride home from New York yesterday. In both instances they had food so I'm wondering if that was a factor. Her typical reaction to people is to lead me towards them which she did in these situations, only she usually doesn't bark. I'm using the same command of leave it to get her to ignore people. I want people to approach her not vise versa.

I plan to introduce her to a good friend of mine's shepherd mix and malamute to give her some more controlled socialization and eventually I want to take her to group classes with a trainer acquaintance of mine when his next sessions start and I like her to attend dog daycare ever so often (I feel this is more of a controlled environment than a dog park and will give her some experience being away from me as she is very attached to me).

Any advice on the barking and pulling would be lovely, or any at all. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

I can recommend 2 short books by Turid Rugaas which I found helpful:
1. Barking the Sound of a Language
2. My Dog Pulls: What Do I do?

I'd start with working on the pulling. When she pulls, stop. If she is a strong puller, find a tool that will help. I use a front ring harness and the method in book #2. Once she learns to walk nicely, then work on the barking using the method in book #1. What will help is to first work at a distance away from people. Then gradually get closer. Take high valued treats so you can reward her for being quiet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Banned

Well by and large you seem to have good instincts.

So on the "surface" I'll be brief. I think you've already stumbled on one of the issues with "Dog Parks" ... for me "known safe dog" is the best policy.

Other stuff is here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

And to address your last question directly ... have a look here:
Teach your Dog to ignore other dogs. - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Hmm ... one more and its not going to be "obvious" but it valuable, "The Place Command" and "Sit on the Dog" once taught those can be done outside of a "Dog Park" to proof the dog by adding distractions. Once the dog has gotten and clue and has learned to "dial it down" a "Correction" maybe become as simple as a Verbal Marker or a slight tug "Sideways" on the leash.

That said ... The Place Command and Sit on The Dog:

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
But to be "accurate" my goals are not to meet and greet other dogs, my goal was for my dogs to "ignore" other dogs and not act like "Tools" they all do/did just fine.

Welcome aboard and ask questions.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Knighted Member

I like group obedience classes. I can expose my dog to lots of dogs in a controlled environment and teach him/her to behave no matter what's going on.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page