Building confidence in a puppy! Don't forget - - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Question Building confidence in a puppy! Don't forget -

Praise (reward) the effort not only the result!

When training I often find myself praising the effort and not necessarily only the result. The reason being is that I want the dog to understand that it is the effort that ultimately creates the desired result. NOTE: (Once learned this all changes)

This allows the puppy to build confidence in itself as it realizes that if it tries to do what is being requested and puts in the effort, it will continue to improve (with guidance as necessary) to the point in which it succeeds.

This starts to validate in the puppies mind its abilities (self esteem)(proud puppy strutting around knowing it has accomplished something) and encourages the puppy to seek out more challenges!

I have found that if I do not do this (only reward result), the puppy may look for validation from others (pack/people) rather than from itself, thus resulting in the lack of self confidence.

A confident puppy more often than not IMO is more desirable and better performing in intelligence, temperament and utility.

Some may agree and others might not. Tell us all what and how you build confidence in a puppy?

Last edited by ipopro; 05-27-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 PM

Horse training but exactly the same concept!

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segreto View Post
Horse training but exactly the same concept!

Gooday M8 - TY for sharing.... Is that you in the Video?

I have now learned my first lesson (horse training) for my next life... who would have thunk it? Again TY for sharing the vid.

To me the effort is as important as the result.... I can normally get the result if the puppy will put in the effort.

P.S. We have now confirmed CROCKS in Florida USA of all places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 06:44 AM

Nope not me but a horseman I greatly admire! Dog and Horse training are mostly interchangeable, which I think is why I haven't completely stuffed my puppy up yet LOL
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I recently moved to The Horse Capital of the WORLD Ocala, FL. and have been thinking about the very subject. I visit a horse farm or four a week in search of the horses I want for my family. In doing so I meet the breeders, the trainers and horse people in general. I often times do see the similarities between the two and find my self discussing them. I have yet to obtain the horses we will buy to become a part of our family or select the trainer that we will utilize for the purpose of turning the horses into well behaved animals. I hope that what I have learned in dog training will assist in my understanding of the process and after watching the video you have shared, and listening to some of the trainers, that very well may be. Again TY for sharing. Is this the method you are using with your Puppy?

Last edited by ipopro; 05-28-2016 at 09:21 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Another question...

Have you worked with this particular trainer or another utilizing the same type method?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

Having been a horse trainer and clinician for 25yrs,o would suggest learning while you have your horses trained.. By that I mean hands on.. Horses are prey animals and while the method of 'make the right thing easy and the wrong thing hard' and 'reward the smallest try' apply, getting the body to cooperate and reading the horses body language, takes time..

Definitely think you are doing the right thing already by visiting and talking to prospective trainers. This is good! The above paragraph applies more for the riding, care and handling of the horses.. I've had hundreds of people tell me they have read such and such, watched the videos of such and such etc (which is all good by the way), so they should be ok to ride and what not... Nope.. Having the concept of what to do is excellent but only a starting point. Getting the body to cooperate, timing, reading of horse, balance, etc is another..

I'm sure you are aware of this, but I figured I would throw it out there as it is a common misconception and others who might be interested in horses get a bit of info as well .. What breed(s) are looking at? Are you looking to do a specific discipline or just ride for fun?
ipopro and dogma13 like this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipopro View Post
Another question...

Have you worked with this particular trainer or another utilizing the same type method?
I haven't worked with him, I had the opportunity to go to a couple of clinics but wasn't able to pull the funds together both times. He is based in the US and regularly travels around the world. He offers an online subscription that is worth its weight in gold however!

I do train my puppy using some of the same principles, but also clicker training.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segreto View Post
I haven't worked with him, I had the opportunity to go to a couple of clinics but wasn't able to pull the funds together both times. He is based in the US and regularly travels around the world. He offers an online subscription that is worth its weight in gold however!

I do train my puppy using some of the same principles, but also clicker training.
Awesome info! I hope things are going well for you and the puppy.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

I think this is what your addressing??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page