Play biting - chase biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Play biting - chase biting

Hey I was just after some advice and maybe some different views on how you handled play biting with other dogs off leash. I've been advised by my trainer to never allow play biting off leash.

The thing is, that's usually what my 9 month old boy goes for straight away. If another dog shows signs of wanting to play then he is happy to chase and grab the scruff.

I don't want to ban him from playing off leash for what could take 2 years for him to stop play biting, it seems really harsh. But my trainer told me not to let him 'practise' the behaviour and eventually he'll grow out of it.

How did you guys handle it? Did you stop your pup playing with other dogs all together? Or did you use a different method?

A side note. My pup is very dog friendly he loves all dogs and has to say hi to everyone we meet (including the small ones, most are scared so I don't allow him to approach them unless they come to him) but he just has an obsession with biting. I guess I heard it's just a GSD thing, they play rough but I need to keep it in check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

you need to find him playmates that play as he does. Labs are a good bet as are GSDs (of course) and many other herding breeds.
They tend to body slam when they play. Grab and growl and race around like idiots. If someone gets a bit too rough, play stops for a couple seconds and then resumes. You can also step in and call for a time out if it's getting too out of hand.

GSDs never outgrow playing rough. They do learn to adjust their playstyle better to their playmates but that is more a maturity thing.
I train to ignore other dogs while on leash. He isn't allowed to say hi to other dogs. I don't let my dogs play with dogs that I don't know. If we are having a playdate with smaller dogs, I tire him out a LOT before he's allowed to play with them. I watch him closely and call him over for a time out if he gets too rambunctious and starts stepping on the smaller dogs.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Like Dainerra says,there is nothing wrong with playing with another dog that's evenly matched with him.Then intervene if things get overly rough or one sided.As long as there's no bullying or fighting allowed I don't see the problem.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

Not all GSDs play rough. When I have a GSD that does, I correct them when they do. I have seen dogs learn to play rough by allowing other dogs that do have access to them. When another dogs gets rough with mine, I remove my dogs.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Not all GSDs play rough. When I have a GSD that does, I correct them when they do. I have seen dogs learn to play rough by allowing other dogs that do have access to them. When another dogs gets rough with mine, I remove my dogs.
the thing is "rough" is in the eye of the beholder. The videos I posted, to me, are two dogs happily playing. To others, it's much too rough and violent.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, it is subjective.

But when other people don't want your dog to play with their's because it is too rough, one might want to readjust their definition of rough play.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
the thing is "rough" is in the eye of the beholder. The videos I posted, to me, are two dogs happily playing. To others, it's much too rough and violent.
Their play looks pretty mild to me. Our two males will play similarly in our family room, outside its a whole new level.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Yes, it is subjective.

But when other people don't want your dog to play with their's because it is too rough, one might want to readjust their definition of rough play.
The play session in the videos? do you consider that too rough? because a lot of people, especially small dog owners and "pet" people, think that it's the first shots of WWIII and freak out.

The owner of the pit in that video was convinced that Singe was going to kill their dog.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Their play looks pretty mild to me. Our two males will play similarly in our family room, outside its a whole new level.
Yeah, I consider that to be very mild mannered. Not playing I would allow inside but quiet happy dogs having fun.

I shared it to show that people have different definitions of "rough" The pit's owners freaked out, convinced that they were fighting and that Singe, being the bigger dog, would eventually kill their dog.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
Yeah, I consider that to be very mild mannered. Not playing I would allow inside but quiet happy dogs having fun.

I shared it to show that people have different definitions of "rough" The pit's owners freaked out, convinced that they were fighting and that Singe, being the bigger dog, would eventually kill their dog.
Were they first time dog owners? i thought they paired up well, looked like fair play to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page