How to Stop Crazy Barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronin2016

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

How to Stop Crazy Barking

So Ronin (6 months) has officially hit puberty! Lord help me. Ha ha. He has done a complete 180 and has become stubborn, doesn't like to listen, and is driving me crazy. The one thing that he has started to do as of late, no matter what the sound, and it could be something only he can hear outside even, he will get up, growl and bark his head off, running to the windows and looking out, then running to the other end of the house and doing the same thing, as fast as he can go. I can't see what he's barking at, and then I tell him No and tell him to be quiet. The quiet command isn't working with us yet, but I'm working on it! I don't know how to make him stop. Quiet doesn't work, and I don't want him to always never bark because we had a break-in at the house and it's more a security thing for me now that he's barking louder so I know if there's a problem. But I also want him to go quiet when I tell him to, or ignore the sounds unless it's close to the house.

Or if we are outside, he will sit in the yard with me and then bark at anything that moves outside. Including people. And he is lunging at people when he's on leash. I correct him immediately, and before he hit puberty, we had this almost all worked out. I would tell him no, pull him (gently) back and put him in a sit and he would stop and just watch them. Now, forget it. It's like he's trying to attack them almost sometimes, and he's making people nervous. He is going to obedience classes starting tomorrow so I'm hoping that this will help, but if anyone has any tips for in the meantime that would be great. Thanks!

"I am your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are my life, my leader. I will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of my heart"-I am the German Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM

Determine the cause of his crazy barking, if he afraid to stranger or any problems, so that you can give him a great solution
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:29 AM

Teach him to relax and how woofmendez said determine the cause if his barking if a stranger approaches yeah let him bark a little bit say thank you/enough whatever you use and try to teach him PLACE too, so he can go to his bed or whatever and relax there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Since posting the thread we have since worked on the Place command as well as an "Enough" command which is working well. Things are looking much better!

"I am your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are my life, my leader. I will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of my heart"-I am the German Shepherd
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Good job! I think people tend to overthink their dog's behaviours - most of the time, what they are needing is boundries and behavioural direction - much like kids that act out.

My mixed breed was an out-of-control wild thing when I adopted her (actually, she was sweet and demure when I adopted her - but that was the honeymoon period, LOL - didn't last!). The more boundries she had, the more I controlled her behaviour (through training, obedience, and stepping in and stopping and redirecting her behaviour), the calmer and more confident she was.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2016 View Post
Thank you. Since posting the thread we have since worked on the Place command as well as an "Enough" command which is working well. Things are looking much better!
Oh so cool that is working for you! Plus I just can't believe how GS learn things SO FAST. So glad is working!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:59 AM

What exactly are doing to teach the 'place' and 'enough' command?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlock View Post
What exactly are doing to teach the 'place' and 'enough' command?
We have a towel that is just his. It's in a spot where he can see the doors, the big bay window and see me if I'm walking around. If he starts barking, I try the "Enough" command to make him stop. If for some reason he doesn't, I tell him place, and he goes to that spot and sits and gets praise and treats. His "place" is a good place where he always gets rewarded. He knows he gets treats there so he stops barking and will calm down. I give him an "Ok" when he's calm to let him know he can get off the towel, but usually he just lays there and chews on a toy. He calms right down. We are working now on that if someone knocks on the door, I tell him place and he goes there. He's getting it about 2/10 times right now, but we only just started that the other day so he is making progress.
carlock likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin2016 View Post
.... He knows he gets treats there so he stops barking and will calm down. ...
Seems like a pattern: Start barking > Human asks to Stop barking > Stop barking > Get treats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page