Looking into training for the future - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Looking into training for the future

I'm a newbie GSD owner. My boy Kopitar is only 5-6 weeks old- I got him in a messed up situation, but he's well taken care of.

Right now we are working on kennel and potty training, which he is doing so so so well with. He knows that when he wakes up I will take him outside and he will immediately go to the bathroom and come in and eat, then back outside we go. After that he will play for about 30 minutes and then he will walk all the way back to his kennel and go to sleep.

So here is my question- what's next and at what age?
anyone have a good recommendation for a GSD trainer in Dallas area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

I'd get a cheap, light nylon leash and cut the handle off so it can drag around with him. A drag line. There's two things I'd start right now. One is taking him outside on that leash to potty, not waiting for him to wake up. I like to take them out and teach them to potty right away on leash and when I want them too. You'll appreciate that if later on you want to travel with him or do anything like obedience in a formal setting. When the dogs will empty on command, it makes it a whole lot easier.

The other thing I like to do right away is call them to me. The drag line can be used to kind of gently keep them from running the other way, but I don't use it to pull them to me and I don't start by standing still and calling them. I just move along slowly with them and clap and call them to me. All I want is a change of direction towards me. Anything towards me is good, a quick pet and some praise and then move on. And lots of playing. Don't forget that.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

You mentioned police work in another thread?? Look on the USCA (germanshepherddog.com) site for IPO clubs. You should be able to find a trainer thru there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page