Teaching my puppy to be well rounded - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Teaching my puppy to be well rounded

I recently purchased a male GSD puppy. Before I got the puppy I didn't do much research about good or bad breeders and I didn't know anything about working lines, show lines, pedigrees, etc. All I was looking for is a family pet. I've had many dogs growing up but never paid for training or anything. I hired a trainer and he is teaching basic commands to my dog. I don't have a lot of money for training so I paid for what I could afford. Like I said, I don't need my dog to do anything special. He is just a family dog. He is about 5 months old now and he is very well behaved for the training he has had. All of the dogs I've had growing up were well behaved and good pets but with the breed he is I was wondering if he will get out of hand without more intense training. He gets distracted a little bit still but we are working on it. We take him to the dog park as much as we can (at least once a week), he plays with my 2 year old, he's crate trained, and he plays outside. If anyone could give me some things to keep my eye out for as he gets older or if he is just like any other dog I've had and will fall into place with my family. All opinions are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

You don't need private training at this point but is there a group class you can take for socialization? You might be lucky and have a mild mannered dog as he gets older, but in my experience they get challenging as they get older.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure, I've been taking him to the dog park to play with other dogs for socialization.. If that's not what you mean please tell me. I'm new at this! I know GSDs can be challenging I just didn't know how.. At this point I don't know what precautions to take
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 PM

The problem with dog parks is that there isn't really a requirement to go there. You're much better having your puppy socialize with dogs that maybe friends and family have that have predictable personalities.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

Dog parks are unpredictable. They are only as safe as the owners who use them. They are also full of diseases. I would rather walk my dog at a park or another place where there are a lot of people and dogs. They don't need to play with dogs to socialize, they just need to learn to read their signals and to observe from a distance. I like obedience classes where they are around a lot of people and dogs on leash with a good trainer who know how to keep dogs safe.

If there is a good daycare nearby, not too expensive that understands dog behavior and has a good reputation, you can try that. I would visit first without my dog and observe.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 AM
Elite Member

Do you have a gsd club in your area? Or a dog club? That could help a lot.

On a side note, am I weird for not letting my 5 mos old gsd play with my 2 year old? Seems one misplaced paw or accidental grab at a toy could be pretty dangerous on that baby skin...

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

They live in the house together. I'm not going to block them off in different sections of the house. My main problem is teaching the 2 year old to not be rough with the dog.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley1214 View Post
They live in the house together. I'm not going to block them off in different sections of the house. My main problem is teaching the 2 year old to not be rough with the dog.
I didn't mean to imply that I block them off from each other. I'm training my dog to not play/rough house/interact in an excited way. She is learning the same thing. Until they both can understand this, in a few years, they will not play.
Keep working every day for what you expect of him. I read this earlier and liked it. I think superg posted, you are your dogs best trainer.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page