house broken but not house broken - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fodder
  • 2 Post By Stonevintage

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

house broken but not house broken

Brand new here with my first German Shepherd. We've had him since he was 5 1/2 weeks old, yes I know that's too soon to be away from mom but we didn't know he was that young when he was delivered to us. Mistakes were made. We should have asked more questions. Not the point.
He's almost 5 1/2 months old and is an amazingly smart boy. However, he was born in November, and grew up in the snow. Now that the snow is melting here he is confused by the grass. He's been almost completely house broken since he was about 7 weeks old and tells us very easily he needs to go potty. With the snow melting and very very little of it left in the yard now, hes running out of places to potty and WILL NOT go potty in the grass. I can spend an hour outside running around with him saying "go potty. go potty" nad that hes a good boy, and sometimes he'll start to pop a squat and just keep walking and not go. When I finally let him inside, HE PEES ON MY FLOOR. He wont even tell me he has to go out once we're back inside after being out for so long.

Do I just keep at it? He simply wont go potty on the grass. Very seldom has he gone on the grass and hes gotten tons of praise and pets and of course treats. I feel like I need to house break him all over again all because of the grass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Knighted Member

Almost completely housebroken is not housebroken. You will have to start over again. Hopefully you have a crate or can leash him to you during the time you are with him.

You will have to control his food and water intake and find out how long it takes to go through him so you can expect when he will need to go.

Stay outside until he does. Be prepared for staying outside for a awhile. Keep telling him to go potty and take him to the same place every time.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 AM

^what s/he said.
however, I would not stay outside as long as it takes. if you spend a half hour each time... that becomes the routine. absolutely crate him, take him out on leash during times that you know he has to go, and put it on command... if he doesn't... then back in the crate he goes. if he does... yay, party, let him off leash to play!!
Mudypoz likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Banned

You can try this. It's the same old fashioned method I used on all my pups to get them to make the transition to potty in a new area.

The next time he has an accident on the linoleum. Put some newspaper down and soak it up. Transfer the soiled newspaper to the area of yard you want him to pee in. Put a big rock on it or something so it won't blow away. Praise him when you see him go potty near that paper.
MichaelE and Mudypoz like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

My puppy still won't pee on anyone else's grass. He will hold it for hours until he gets back home to his own yard. I haven't figured out how to break him of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page