Walking on a leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Walking on a leash

Hello!

Can anyone recommend or comment on a harness or collar for a 3 month old pup? Is one preferred over the other?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for something to introduce the pup to walks. I will begin training soon, so if there is something that I could use for both, that would be great!

I am looking to gather the necessary things to welcome him home, so leash and collar/harness are a start!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 12:10 AM

Easy walker harness by petsafe.

Tasha's Mom, Coleen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coleen; 04-18-2016 at 12:14 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
Easy walker harness by petsafe.
Thanks for the info!

Is this something I can also use for obedience training (we'll be going to classes with a trainer).

He is not a puller (then again it may be too early to tell), so is a harness necessary?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

I am looking to use a Martingale buckle/chain-combo-no-slip collar or the Easy Walk harness.

If anyone has insight as to which would be better for the pup and potentially useful for casual walks and obedience classes, please chime in!

Thanks!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 AM
Banned

Martingale is really neither hear nor there as a "training collar" it's primary function is to keep slippery dogs from choking a collar at will. I had a Boxer/APBT that could shed his collar at will! I would just tell him "Stay" if he did it but kind of annoying.

I know of a couple of "Pro's" that use Hareness, not a fan myself, I prefer to go back to the basics ... see the first clip here:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

He is actually using a Flat leash and regular collar, if you get it "right" that works out just fine because your not fighting the dog. And in the same vein a Slip Lead Leash is better/faster still, properly positioned it works out better still. Details on that option can be found here:

Slip Lead leash - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

As always ask questions and welcome aboard.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 AM

It really depends on your dog and how he is walking with you. Your trainer will be able to help with what would be the best for you and your dog.

Tasha's Mom, Coleen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmcee View Post
Hello!

Can anyone recommend or comment on a harness or collar for a 3 month old pup? Is one preferred over the other?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for something to introduce the pup to walks. I will begin training soon, so if there is something that I could use for both, that would be great!

I am looking to gather the necessary things to welcome him home, so leash and collar/harness are a start!

Thanks!
I would not use a harness at all. A simple flat collar would be best in my opinion. I find a harness encourages pulling more than a buckle collar.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:54 AM

I've always used a martingale collar for my puppies, just to keep them from backing out of it. I was used to using them on sighthounds (who have skinny heads and will slip a collar), so that's what I used with my GSDs.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Master Member

I have a four month old puppy and I use a front-clip harness (easy walk) for most walks and a slip lead for when I want a quick hook up. A back-clip harness encourages pulling, but I've found the front-clip one to be very helpful. Of course, the most important thing is to have the dog under control IN the house before ever taking a walk. That's a great video Chip linked to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwfZ7xv-E0
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

If he isn't pulling a flat collar works. If he is he can damage his trachea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page