Stealing Stuff - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDCrazy1787

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Stealing Stuff

Hello. My boy seems to enjoy stealing stuff. By that I mean if I had a sock on the floor in my bedroom he will take it and just move it to the living room. He doesn't chew it up or anything. He just likes to take it and move it around the house. Almost like he is trying to rearrange my house.

Now I know I can easily fix the behavior by not putting my socks or clothes on the floor but I would rather look at this as a good time to train him not to touch my clothes.

Now to add to the problem it seems like he knows not to steal stuff. In other words, if I have sock laying right in front of me he won't ever touch it. Though if I leave the room he will grab the sock and take it to the living room to start his collection. haha.

He is a little over one year old and I can proudly say this is the only problem I am dealing with.

I would appreciate any suggestions to solve this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 PM

My Sage was the same way, but I'll admit that I never tried to stop it. It was part of her charm, lol. She had a dog door, so I'd find my shoes all lined up out in the yard. One time the Kindle was out there. Not a mark on anything, just relocated. I'm sure someone here can tell you how to fix it though!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Master Member

Zack would do the same thing! He stopped now that he's older, not really sure why though.
Everytime he'd do it though I'd start speaking to him in a 'disappointed' voice and he'd always just leave it and come back for ear scratches.

Could it be that he's trying to get your attention?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zack: 9/9/12 - Living like a king
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

I call it "puppy geist" as opposed to poltergeist...items mysteriously transported around the house. My favorite part is the toy deposited inside my closet when you can envision a creative mind thinking "that looks WAY more fun than my nyla bone" & abandoning what he came with
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 PM

My dogs steal things with our scent on them.They got chewed up when they were puppies,but now they just move them around the house

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

So basically what I am hearing from everybody is that I will just have to deal with it!

I don't really mind it. I'd only mind it if my stuff got destroyed. But I will just keep on rounding up the socks as he moves them!

I will admit that I have lost a a few pair because I can find the matching sock...
dogma13 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 PM

Comfort Odor.

Nothing Steals Stuff in the house sent or no sent like a Ferret.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 PM

I'm sure there's a way to stop the behavior. You don't have to live with it. I just never tried to do it!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page