Need Advice, 4 M/O Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice, 4 M/O Puppy

My puppy does well with obedience so far.
1) She goes to her kennel without issue 90% of the time.
2) She sits and stays when I open the kennel door and waits for me to call her outside even when I am out of view (sometimes it takes a few tries, but she usually stays until I call).
3) She usually stays near in the yard when off leash, and returns when called; she does not return as well if the kids are in the yard and she is near them.
4) She sits and stays when I give her food. She even waits until I walk away and "release" her.

My BIG issue though is if a neighbor or other dog happens to walk outside while she is off leash. In that case she is gone, and there is nothing I can do to recall her. She does not get aggressive, but I cannot have her taking off at unexpected moments. How can I get her to stop in such instances?

Also, I put her on a 20' lead in the back yard when the weather is nice. Our yard backs up to an exotic animal park, and there is an apartment building a few houses down. she has taken to barking at the animals, and neighbors as they walk to their car. Is there anything I can to to keep her from excessive barking besides keep her inside all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 01:45 PM

Sounds normal. You have some basic obedience in a quiet and comfortable environment. Just keep working on the same command but outside on the leash with people, cars and other environmental distraction around. Dogs are kind of weird in that regard. For example, if a pup chews on one leg of a chair, you tell him no, he stops but goes on to chew on the next leg and in his mind it's ok, because you told him not to chew on THAT leg but not this one. So practice your commands in different settings, different environments as much as you can, and over time he will get it just fine.

Here in almost every off-leash park we have a small enclosed area where you can practice whatever with other dogs around as distraction - something like that will also help.

As well as puppy classes (obedience training) - another great way to work obedience with distractions.

Hope it gives you some ideas.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Elite Member

A 4 month old puppy is way too young to have the brain power to understand recalls need to happen all the time lol. Keep the leash on her in the front yard too, when you get the unexpected instance , reel her in and reward her like crazy and then let her go back to playing , repeat a few times so she understands even when distracting things are around she still has to come back

sounds like you guys have a lot of good foundation though for such a young age

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Crowned Member

It's a baby. You are expecting a toddler to not take a cookie off a plate at eye level in a room when you are out of it.

And, you are playing with dynamite letting a 4 month puppy run about off lead. He can get run over by a car, he can get mangled by one of the dogs he wants to run up to. He can get hit or kicked by a child. Keep him on-lead if the area is not fenced.

As for outside on a lead, lots of dogs do not need animals and people to put up a ruckus. They get bored and begin barking, nuisance barking. When that doesn't fulfill their need of attention/interest, they might dig, escape, and even chew holes in themselves. Also breeds bred for guarding often guard whatever they are tethered to. So the act of tethering can increase barking/guarding behavior. But I think your pup is a little young for that. More likely he is frustrated that he cannot get to the people/dogs and his barking is a symptom of that.

Go out with your pup, praise him for doing his business, do a short fun game, on a long lead, where you are interacting with him, then bring him inside. Your neighbors will appreciate it, and you will be able to mark good behavior, and correct unwanted behavior effectively and consistently.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Banned

Build a fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page