Having Trouble With Distracted Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Having Trouble With Distracted Puppy

Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to this forum, but have been viewing it & reading for weeks in anticipation for our new Shepherd.

We brought our 8 week old puppy home yesterday, and he is everything we hoped for so far. He is alert, playful, courageous & very sweet.

He seems to be pretty intelligent, we have been working hard on basic house manners -- he has not had an accident in his crate or the house, and only cries for a few minutes in his crate and then settles down to go to sleep. He eats all his meals in his crate with the door open -- and today when he felt overwhelmed, he went to his crate for comfort.

I have read it is important to start training right away, but it is hard for me to keep him focused. I am trying to figure out the best way to motivate him -- he likes treats, but does not go crazy for them; and is just now starting to be interested in his tug toys and tennis balls.

Does anyone have advice on how to motivate him to stay focused on me when training? He looks around constantly, and doesn't seem to notice that I have treats in my hand until I have them basically in his mouth.

I am working on sit, lay down and come at the moment. He comes to me when he sees me, but is not responding to his name yet.

I would appreciate any advice that could be given!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:44 AM

Your pup is very young, he has a very short attention span. Right now 5 minutes is probably more than he can stay at it. Relax and enjoy him and don't get too hung up on trying to teach everything at once, and remember to keep it fun! Lots of praise along with the treats.

And welcome to the forum!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Yes, as Rosy pointed out, they have VERY short attention span. Just keep the sessions short and fun. I did with mine literally 2-3 minutes tops, finishing with lots of praises. Always finish everything you do with him on a positive and happy note.
Mine was just the same way - not showing much interest in treats or toys. Be patient, they just started to learn the world around them. You and everything around is new. He doesn't know that the treat is a reward yet and not sure about it. Use your excited voice when praising and giving treats. Try different flavors to see if he likes some better than other. But definitely use exciting voice for praises and pat/scratch a few times (verbal and physical praises). They pay attention to the very tiniest things such as voice and body language and learn quickly.

As far as toys - they go through stages. I bought mine some toys when he was younger that he completely ignored. Then, 2 months later, one day I see him getting that old toy and now it's his favorite. He still doesn't care for nylabones. I did everything to get him to chew on that (keeping in chicken broth for a while that even i could taste chicken on it) - he would lick a few times and turns away. He is not stupid at all - give him real stuff or go home. lol. He loves marrow bones though.
Just experiment with him, see what he likes and what he doesn't. Don't push too hard, let it flow naturally. It's a wonderful journey of you both learning about each other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page