German Shepherds Forum banner

How to train with toys

922 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  hwtan 
#1 ·
My pup is very toy motivated and not so much food motovated. He could take it or leave it when it comes to food but if I have a toy in my hand he wants it every time. How can I train with toys? I have been working on engagement and nothing else. Should I teach him 'drop it' first before I use toys as a training reward?

#4 ·
It's the same concept as training with food.
It's important to let your dog know that you're not trying to take away the toy every time you approach him. Let him have it for a while, pet him while he's playing with the toy. Then out him randomly, don't make it a routine. After he outs (a good out) mark and give it back. Once again, don't make this a routine, do it randomly. He'll never know when he'll get it back, which makes outs better for mine.

#5 ·
I can get unfood motivated dogs to work for food (at least it worked with one of mine) I did go to little pieces of steak for starters.

My 4 yo will work for food but she really works for toys. It's a difference of degree with her. I let her know I have the toy (she thinks I have the toy all the time or at least most of the time whether I do or not). Usually when we heel I have it tucked under my left arm pit. When her sit pleases me or her heeling is very nice, I mark it and drop the reward (toy).

And I have two on me. (Often three). Works better for an "aus".

#6 ·
my adopted old working gsd is not trained

highly play drive.

he will not let go the toy whenever he gets it
cant do training with it when he woulnd't return it.

had tried using a tug toy to train the "aus" command (by keeping still after a few tug)
but seem like he didnt get it all this while

any better idea to do it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.