E-collar for dog and cat problem. Ecollar? (Any VT dog trainers you know of?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

E-collar for dog and cat problem. Ecollar? (Any VT dog trainers you know of?)

So i have tried many things and have posted here tried those things. I had a private trainer come to my house and she told me to do time outs and to distract Zelda when she see's a cat.
This isn't working! Cats are her most favorite thing in the whole world. She isn't just playing with them, i know that for sure from tonight. Because a cat came in and she GRABBED onto it.. and i had to pry her mouth open because she wouldn't "spit" it.
I have been really good about managing the cats. and making sure they are in a closed room or outside when Zelda is loose in the house.
I am just SO worried about the cats and that one of these times she is going to do some real damage, the cat this time was okay. But what if next time someone comes in the house without knocking and a cat comes in and she grabs the neck?
I have heard of and have been suggested using a e-collar, i am not against them in anyway when they are used correctly. They are like any other taining tool and need to be used in moderation and correclty. And because of this i think the e-collar might help with Zelda and her prey drive with cats.
Does anyone know of any GOOD dog trainers in Vermont that uses e-collars? I want to be shown how to do it, so i do it correctly and at the right time and the right stimulation.
I just am not sure what else to do. And this was another option on my list to try, and it really is the last one.

Mom of: "Zelda"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Born: December 15, 2012
In my Care: May 01, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know of a e-collar in Vermont. You can check out Lou Castle's threads as he has videos and is a trainer that specializes in the use of e-collars. From my experience with the e-collars, I would not use it in this situation, mainly because the cat is too close and once the dog with a high drive grabs it or is close enough to -he will blow off the shock or the shock will have the adverse effect of making him more intense. Your Zelda is young and needs to learn to respect the cats but she isn't being trained to do so because the cats are either outside or she is - so when one comes in - she goes after it. I suggest you keep Zelda on a leash and close to you when she is in the house or put her in her crate when you can't watch her. When she goes after the cat - that is when you can correct her - say "no" pull her back in a sit if she doesn't stop - then pick the cat up - say "mine" in a stern voice, give Zelda a toy (a furry one that squeaks), make sure she grabs it and say real friendly "this is yours". Put the cat up on a table or a place higher than Zelda. When you have the cat on your lap and Zelda wants to push her off, turn your side away from Zelda - yawn and even turn the cat's head away as the cat will try to stare down the dog - all to show Zelda that the cat is yours - ignore Zelda - but have her toy ready that is hers and give it to her but don't look at her. I also suggest for an outlet for Zelda's prey drive which is what this all about - is tug (or fetch/tug when you lure the tug that is attached to a rope so it looks like it is running and let Zelda attack that) make sure she wins - that will satisfy her drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page