How to calm down 13 week old in training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

How to calm down 13 week old in training

My puppy Rogue is 13 weeks old and we train with her everyday until she starts puppy classes next month. Well, I am at a loss of what to do right now. My husband and I do about 10 minutes or less training sessions with her multiple times throughout the day. She had sit down and her recall is getting better but I like to use treats for training and she just goes NUTS! She jumps on us, tries to steal it out of our hands, about bites our fingers off when we give her the treat, and pretty much looks like she is doing flips she is jumping around so much. My other dog was never this food driven. I am wondering if we should take treats out of the training and go to a different method? We never give her the treat until she calms down but she never actually calms down she goes from being like a level 10 excited to like a level 7 lol It is so hard to teach her boundaries when she is going crazy! She is so smart but I feel like we could be doing so much better if we did not have to spend most of the training sessions just trying to get her to calm down. Any ideas?

Also, we are going to my fathers house tomorrow to visit my family in Florida for the next 6 days before my kids start back to school. My father has a Bouvier and she is a great dog but a dominant dog. My older dog is just submissive to her but I am worried about my pup because she is quite annoying when it comes to being around other dogs. She goes crazy jumping and biting them (just playing with them). Well, my dads dog is not mean but just dominant. She is a VERY well trained dog but I want them to get along. Are there any ideas on how to introduce them so us living in their home for 6 days will go smoothly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Master Member

Perhaps keep her in a crate for a bit? Let her relax in the new smells. place the dominant dogs bedding in her crate? Get used to the smell that way? I'd even chance taking everyone out for a LONG walk as soon as you get there so they can all get tired out and THEN meeting eachother.

When Sabo was 10-13 weeks we trained with toys only that way he could be hyper, but would naturally give me the responses I wanted, and no fingers were chewed in those weeks. LOL
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Master Member

This is a good "problem" to have. Wear a thin leather glove for the biting and always keep the treats low to the ground to prevent the jumping up. Try training your pup with food while on your knees. You can keep the food cupped in your hand and the gloves will protect you until your are ready to reward her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM

When Duke was that age I taught him "leave it" without the command when treats were in my hand. I held a treat in my fist and he would try to get the treat (pretty painful at first) but eventually he would realize he couldn't get to it... Then as soon as he pulled back from my hand to think about it, I would start to open it. He would of course attack it, and the instant he moved towards the food I closed my hand again. We repeated these steps until he was able to back away from the food and wait for my "yes" or the clicker. He eventually learned that taking food out of my hand without permission wasn't going to work. We wound this into his training by asking for a sit, or eye contact, etc.

We are also working on the "Protocols of Relaxation"... Which is great so far. You can find the document through google, and there is also a website with free Mp3 files to train with. I wish I had started these when he was younger!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Her nose is something crazy! We try to hide it where she will never even see the treat and she knows that we have it any just lunges up on us. I think I will try a glove next time or see if she will be just as motivated when it comes to toys. Yesterday my husband actually got her to sit and stay and he walked across the yard with the treat and then said Ok come get it and she ran over there and got it but this has been the only time we have been able to get her to calm down enough to stay still. It was definitely impressive though. I wonder if I made her food drive higher because we play games in the house with treats. I hide the treats throughout the living room and then bring her into the living room and let her go crazy smelling around finding them all. The only reason why we are really struggling because we cannot get her to do the lay command and we work with her all the time on it. She is so focused on the treat that she does not want to lay because she just wants to sniff the air while sitting. Any ideas on how to get the lay command down??
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Master Member

Have the pup sit and then place your hand with the treat right between her two front paws on the ground and sort of under her chest. Most pups will naturally down with the food in this position.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Teach her impulse control around - the way to get the food is to ignore the food and focus on you instead. This game is excellent, I fed part of Halo's lunch kibble every day this way:

I've never had a dog that wasn't food driven, but Halo is off the charts. I trained her at home for 3 weeks before puppy class started, and here she is in the second week of class, in a down, off leash in a room full of other people and puppies, focusing on me with a treat on the floor in front of her:

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for that video!! I just worked with her on it like the video stated and she did amazing! The first time it took her like 2 minutes to back away from the food and just sit there and ignore it but the 2nd time I did it she sniffed and nibbled at my hand once and then just stayed in the sit position looking at me! So we then went to the lay down command and I have always just done the hand down command while saying down with my dogs but apparently with Rogue I need to pat the floor and she goes to the lay down position and she waited patiently for the treat! Its a MIRACLE!!
I think we made the mistake of pulling our hand back and trying to hide our hand from her while training and it made it into a game of hide and seek for her.

Last edited by Rogue's Mama; 08-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
Perhaps keep her in a crate for a bit? Let her relax in the new smells. place the dominant dogs bedding in her crate? Get used to the smell that way? I'd even chance taking everyone out for a LONG walk as soon as you get there so they can all get tired out and THEN meeting eachother.

When Sabo was 10-13 weeks we trained with toys only that way he could be hyper, but would naturally give me the responses I wanted, and no fingers were chewed in those weeks. LOL
I think we will immediately walk them all together. My dad has not got his fence put in yet because he just built his house and the fence will not be installed for another month so it will be interesting with the potty training there I am so worried about Rogue annoying my dads dog because my pup plays rough and my dads dog is pretty lazy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

Not sure if someone mentioned it but...... with a crazy food monster, I always feed before training, and I don't use "high-value" treats unless and until I have to. So kibble is often the training treat for my puppies until maybe 8-10 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page