subliminal and off-beat training tips - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

subliminal and off-beat training tips

Haha like three months ago I wouldn't even have really considered myself a dog person and I just got my first puppy, he's a shepherd/beagle mix. one of the best decisions of my life hands down.

anyways, my topic is about subliminal and off beat training tips. I'm a new dog owner, so I'm reading reading reading... the way dogs think is fascinating. I'm hoping for some professional opinions and tricks. from the get go, the first time I saw him he was three hours old, fresh out of the womb, and I visited him every other day or so so he'd know me before he could even see, smell etc (which he absolutely did). Ever since he opened his eye I have never broken eye contact I always expect him to. here's an example of "subliminal" training, as far as "being the alpha of the pack".

another thjng I read, and this was more "off beat" was that you should never call a puppy over and yell at them because they'll learn to not always come to you if your angry, (and since I want 100% obedience) I only call him when happy or neutral, if I'm angry I go to him to scold him.

You could easily write a 500 page book on this topic, but I'm just trying to pick up a few here's and there's as I go along.

I have quite a few freinds with dogs, and while they are well behaved and trained, they are not at the level I want my puppy to be so I am putting all effort into learning ad much ad I can, because whether I like it or not, I'm "stuck" with imthis guy for at least fifteen years, and the way I'm feeding him, probably longer.

also, are shepherds/beagles good pointer dogs? I don't plan on training him to do hunting stuff until he's at least a year, but are there any games door things I can teach him to "warm him up" for being a pointer dog?

thanks a lot guys,
Soaren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

I suggest you read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete.
Neither shepherds nor beagles are pointers but they are known for good nose work. So I suggest you train for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Master Member

+1 to Mary Beth. I got my copy on Amazon for $3. Super awesome book.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kaleef Black Bear Bugatti

CGC, Advanced Obedience, Intermediate Air Scent Tracking,
650+ trail miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Elite Member

Pointing is a strongly instinct-driven behavior. A natural pointer will exhibit a strong behavior with minimal training. You can train a regular dog to point at things, but it's never going to make a great bird dog or win pointer field trials, any more than a dog with zero herding instinct is going to make a great working sheepdog.

If you're looking for puppy books I'd suggest Patricia McConnell's The Puppy Primer and Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson's My Smart Puppy.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Master Member

McConnell has another great book. It's sitting on the shelf at my parents- my mom is borrowing it. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called. It deals a lot with reading the dogs body language and understanding what to do more so than training per se

650+ trail miles
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggibub View Post
McConnell has another great book. It's sitting on the shelf at my parents- my mom is borrowing it. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called. It deals a lot with reading the dogs body language and understanding what to do more so than training per se

This one?

subliminal and off-beat training tips-imageuploadedbypg-free1374688947.327732.jpg

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Master Member

Yepppppp

650+ trail miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page